If you are a local political leader in any of the OECD-DAC listed ODA-countries, a woman and most importantly, an agent of change – this programme is for you.
The 12-months training focuses on developing political leadership skills and is open only to women who hold an elected seat in a local or regional government in any of the OECD-DAC listed ODA-countries. All parts of the training are based on equity, participation, transparency and accountability, and the goal is to strengthen democracy in the organizations taking part in the training, primarily by strengthening the politician herself, as well as capacitating women politicians in general to be good role models and to get a higher involvement of underrepresented groups in decision making bodies.
The training is implemented in cooperation with the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR).
- The programme aims to provide the following changes in the participant:
- Empower the participant with improved leadership skills
- Help the participant to fully utilize the power and influence of her position
- Strengthen her as a role model to encourage political participation among marginalized groups
- Give her access to a network of women in similar positions
- During the training, the participant will work on her change process and implement a strategy to make the local authority equitable, participatory, transparent and accountable.
- Valuable exchange of knowledge and experiences
- Extended regional and international networks
- Improved skills as a “change agent” in initiating and implementing instituational change
- Skills and abilities to communicate and advocate on issues of inclusive governance
- Two-day study-visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- Support to improve participation, equality, transparency and accountability in the local governance
What they will offer?
- Advanced training in communication, strategic planning and leadership
- Swedish mentorship including an individual two-day study visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- International exposure to different political experiences
- An opportunity for your municipality to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- Through skills training workshops on site or digitally
- Identification of challenges and finding solutions to issues faced by women politicians
- By offering strategic support and coaching from ICLD staff and mentors
- In sharing of professional obstacles and successes in an inclusive environment
- All countries on the OECD-DAC listed ODA-eligible countries, are eligible for the programme.
- Only elected women politicians (currently in office) in a local/regional government will be considered. ICLD will prioritize applicants holding a position of Mayor or Deputy Mayor but will also exceptionally accept applicants who are Councilor. They at ICLD aim to create a group that includes both majority and opposition politicians, as well as a diversity of ages and experience. ICLD trainings are open to all that are eligible, irrespective of physical ability.
- Candidates who have previously participated in an ICLD training programme financed by Sida cannot apply for this programme.
For more information, visit https://icld.se/en/international-programmes/the-programmes/itp-local-political-leaders-capacitating-women-in-politics/