Through the Platform for Dialogue and Action on Health Technologies in Africa (Health Tech Platform), the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) announces a call for entries for the second edition of the Emerging Health Technologies (EHTs) Media Award of Excellence.
The Emerging Health Technologies Media Award is an annual recognition of journalists who have contributed to emerging health technology (EHT) reporting by publishing and producing stories on the subject.
- The objectives of the EHTs Media Award are to promote quality reporting of the emerging health technologies being developed for use in Africa, as well as to raise public awareness, understanding, participation, and local ownership of these technologies.
- The award focuses on emerging health technologies prioritised by the African Union as having the potential to change the trajectory of disease and health in Africa if well developed, tested, and deployed. The technologies include gene drives and monoclonal antibodies for malaria control, drones, microgrids, artificial intelligence, gene editing, and next-generation medicine.
- Individuals may submit three entries per category published during the period indicated above to be eligible for the award.
- The categories are as follows:
- Print journalism: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words published in a newspaper, magazine, journal or newsletter.
- Radio journalism: Documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Television journalism: Documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Online/new media: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words, or audio/visual documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes. This must be published in an online-only newspaper, magazine, journal or media house.
- EHTs Media Award Grand Prize: USD5,000
- EHTs Media Award Print Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1, 000
- EHTs Media Award Radio Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000
- EHTs Media Award Television Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000
- EHTs Media Award Online Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000
- The EHTs Media Award is open to published and broadcasted works in print, radio, television, and online media.
- The award is open to African journalists publishing in African-led and African-based media houses. The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organisations.
- The period of publication/broadcast of entries for this call is media stories published between 1 November 2022 and 30 August 2023.
- The entries should address EHT development issues relevant to Africa, such as ongoing research, regulatory frameworks needed to guide this work, community participation, public awareness and understanding, involvement of African scientists, and equity and benefit sharing. Stories may cover issues applicable to one African country or be regional in scope.
- Languages: All entries are required to be in English or French. Stories done in local languages should be translated, and the original language indicated.
For more information, visit African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP).