Advisor II, Research
Based in Washington DC or a country where PSI is registered
15-50% international travel
Work From Almost Anywhere Status = Remote eligible
Reports to Senior Research Advisor, Malaria and WASH
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
From 2008 to 2017 the PSI-led research project ACTwatch served as the most reliable source of nationally representative market data on antimalarial and diagnostic commodities across 12 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Greater Mekong Subregion. National antimalarial market outlet surveys collected information on antimalarial and RDT availability, price, and market share. See www.actwatch.info for more information.
Supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, PSI is updating its ACTwatch model to collect novel private sector market data beginning in 2022. ACTwatch Lite will leverage a digital ecosystem to reduce fieldwork timelines and minimize the gap between the end of fieldwork and availability of study results. Updated results will inform national and subnational decision-making and serve as the basis of define and monitor private sector malaria interventions.
ACTwatch Lite will be implemented in three countries (Benin, Cameroon, and Nigeria) over the next two years, led by PSI’s Malaria Department, country teams and national partners. The project is expected to begin in August this year, but the start date is contingent on contract signature.
PSI seeks an Advisor II, Research that will lead and support the design, research quality and ethical compliance of fit-for-purpose research across the ACTwatch Lite portfolio. The Advisor II, Research will serve as a research focal point for the project and support teams in the use of research results. The role may support other technical functions (marketing, monitoring, learning) with research support on key initiatives.
· Research: Lead the design and provide technical review to ACTwatch Lite to ensure quality and compliance. Produce concise, well written outputs (PowerPoint decks and narrative reports) describing research findings for technical and general audiences. 65% of the Time
o Under the guidance of the Senior Research Advisor, lead and support multi-country ACTwatch Lite research activities to ensure relevance, quality, and comparability across countries through development of appropriate study designs, fieldwork approaches, data cleaning/analysis and outputs.
o Co-lead in-country training and quality assurance at the start of fieldwork. Lead the development of analysis plans and conduct data analysis.
o Write-up and package study materials and support their dissemination to the broader public health community.
· Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management: Identify and foster opportunities for internal learning, capacity building, and P2P exchanges and cross-country and project learning. 10% of the Time
· Program Management: Support the development of annual research plans and learning agendas. Support activity budgeting, monitoring of project timelines, reporting, and communicating with clients as appropriate. 10% of the Time
· Representation: Represent the research function for the project and malaria department internally and externally. May participate in technical work groups externally and present research results to donors. 10% of the Time
· Fundraising: Engage with fundraising teams to support development of the Monitoring, Evidence and Learning (MEL) plans, Theory of Change (TOC) and logframes. 5% of the Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
· Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field.
· Doctorate Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field preferred.
· At least 5 years of related experience. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
· Experience leading the design, collection, cleaning, analysis, and presentation of quantitative research.
· Experience in conducting large-scale, standardized surveys in developing countries.
· Experience using digital/electronic data collection software, with Open Data Kit (ODK) preferred.
· Demonstrable data management and analytic skills, with proficiency in Stata including development of model syntax and automation.
· Expertise in malaria case management or pharmaceutical drugs preferred.
· Excellent written and verbal English and French skills required.
· Experience submitting research protocols to Research Ethics Boards (REBs).
· Experience implementing quality assurance protocols during research implementation.
· Ability to produce technical products and tools with limited oversight and direction.
· Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal colleagues. Able to work as a member of a team and independently.
· Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Cultural humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
**Measurement:**You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them. Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect. **Honesty:**You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve. **Collaboration:**You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed. **Trust:**You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt. **Commitment:**You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: [email protected] or call (202)785-0072.