The ALIMA SPIRIT: ALIMA’s raison d’être is to save lives and care for the most vulnerable populations, without any discrimination based on identity, religion or politics, through actions based on proximity, innovation and the alliance of organizations and individuals. We act with humanism, impartiality and respect for universal medical ethics. In order to access patients, we are committed to intervening in a neutral and independent manner.
Our CHARTER defines the VALUES and PRINCIPLES of our action :
- Patient First – Patient centered medical care
- Revolutionizing humanitarian medicine through research
- Responsibility and freedom: encourage decision-making by those closest to patients
- Commitment to a dynamic of continuous quality improvement
- Creating a climate of trust among colleagues
- Collective intelligence
- Environmental liability
ALIMA promotes and defends the principles of fundamental human rights. ALIMA has a zero-tolerance approach to those guilty of acts of gender-based and sexual violence as well as to inaction in the face of alleged or proven acts of violence. Protecting the people who benefit and are impacted by our intervention is our top priority in everything we do. Anyone working with ALIMA is committed to :
● Respect the charter, the code of conduct, institutional policies including the policy of protection against abuses of power and gender-based and sexual violence, the policy of preventing corruption and fraud ;
● Report any violations to policies, framework documents and proceedings to a superior, referral
CARING – INNOVATING – TOGETHER:
Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated more than 7 million patients. Today ALIMA works in 12 countries in Western and Central Africa. In 2020, we developed 41 humanitarian medical response projects to meet the needs of populations affected by conflict, epidemics and extreme poverty. All of these projects support national health authorities through nearly 357 health structures (including 45 hospitals and 312 health centers). We work in partnership, especially with local NGOs, whenever possible to ensure that our patients benefit from the expertise wherever it is, whether in their country or the rest of the world. In addition, to improve the humanitarian response, we are carrying out operational and clinical research projects, particularly in the field of the fight against malnutrition and hemorrhagic viral fevers. ALIMA is also leading operations in response to the covid-19 pandemic across all of our missions.
ALIMA’S TEAM: More than 2000 people currently work for ALIMA. The field teams, as close as possible to the patients, receive their support from the coordination teams generally based in the capitals of the countries of intervention. These receive support from the 4 desk teams and the emergency and opening service team based at the operational headquarters in Dakar, Senegal. The Paris and New York teams are actively working on fundraising as well as representing ALIMA. The rest of the ALIMA Galaxy includes individuals and partner teams who work on behalf of other organizations such as medical NGOs BEFEN, ALERTE Santé, SOS Médecins / KEOOGO, AMCP, research organizations PACCI, INSERM, Universities of Bordeaux or Copenhagen, the NGO Solidarités International and many others.
COUNTRIES WHERE WE WORK: Mali, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Guinea,South Sudan, Mauritania & Sudan.
THE WORK WE DO covers: Primary and Secondary Health Care, with a main focus on children and women – including treatment and prevention of acute malnutrition, maternal health, mental health, response to epidemics (Ebola, Cholera, Measles, Dengue, Lassa Fever), surgery, displaced populations, and gender based violence, Covid 19.
ALIMA in Ukraine
Mission Location: Odessa & Mykolaiv
We will focus its effort in South Ukraine to provide emergency primary health care and support to hospitals in the war zone of Mykolaiv Oblast and around. The main objective is to reduce the mortality and suffering among the population affected by the war in this area through 4 axes:
● Reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with chronic disease and communicable diseases among the isolated population in Mykolaiv Oblast
● Reduce mental health burden through psychological care in Mykolaiv Oblast
● Support hospitals to deliver trauma and intensive health care in Mykolaiv City
● Ensuring a rapid response mechanism to delivered health care support to affected population
PROTECTION OF BENEFICIARIES AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS
Level 3: As part of his/her duties, the incumbent will visit programs and come into contact with children and/or vulnerable adults. Therefore, a criminal record check or a certificate of good character will be required. In situations where a criminal record check or character reference is not possible, a declaration on honour will be requested.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINKS
He/she reports to the Project Coordinator (line manager) and the Logistics Coordinator (functional manager)
He/She manages the project’s logistics staff (log base, supply, stock, external activities, log assistant, guards…). He/she collaborates with all other members of the mission
MISSION AND MAIN ACTIVITIES
1. Definition of objectives and data analysis
a. Data and reporting
● Consolidates reports for all logistics families and analyzes data
● Writes and transmits the monthly logistics package to the Project Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator.
● Writes an annual project logistics report
● Organizes clear filing and archiving of all paper and electronic logistics documentation
● Compiles quantitative logistical data (consumption, stocks, distributions) and analyzes them before transmission to the logistics coordinator,
b. Specific objectives
● Identifies local actors in the working environment: local authorities, NGOs, service providers, suppliers. Creates or maintains favorable working relationships with these stakeholders in collaboration with the PI and the Field Administrator.
● Participate in any exploratory or assessment missions in the area of the base to which he/she is assigned
● Participate in discussions on the conduct of the project and the definition of objectives.
2. Program Implementation
● With the medical activity managers and the project coordinator, determines the needs for the structures supported by the project in water, hygiene and sanitation, and basic necessities. If present on the mission, refers to the WASH coordinator
● Supervise the waste treatment chain (collection, sorting, destruction, dumping) in the supported facilities in collaboration with the WASH Manager.
● Ensures compliance with the biosecurity measures put in place
● Ensures the safety of the facilities and buildings (presence of fire extinguishers, grounding of electrical installations, etc.) in collaboration with the logistics coordinator and the health district.
● Ensures the availability and proper functioning of IT equipment, internet connectivity and telecommunications in collaboration with the logistics coordinator: Evaluate and propose the appropriate means of communication, Follow-up on the recharging of communications means, …
● Organizes and supervises the work decided in common agreement with the medical department
● Arranges transportation for patient referral and cross-referral
● Organizes and supervises the maintenance and upkeep of medical equipment and infrastructure
3. Inventory management
● Ensures the implementation of inventory management tools
● Choose the premises, decide on the layout and organize the security of the storage spaces.
● Centralizes and controls monthly, quarterly and annual inventories
● Performs physical inventory controls.
● Monitors and analyzes consumption of food, fuel and common consumables (chlorine, hygiene products, patient kit, stationery, etc.).
● In connection with the Supply Manager, he/she ensures and controls the quality of storage in the warehouses.
● Ensures proper stock management through stock cards, by implementing control tools.
● Ensures that waybills and project transportation documents are accurately developed.
● Follows up on donations (logistical and medical equipment), the establishment and archiving of donation certificates.
4. Ordering and procurement
● Ensures compliance with purchasing procedures on its projects and the validity of framework contracts
● Centralizes the orders of its project and establishes the orders according to the follow-up of consumption and the frequency of supply and transmits them to the Supply Manager.
● Validates quotations and orders of materials for the sites and ensures the supervision and control of the purchase forecasts
● Ensures the receipt of field orders, validation of documents for all transactions, and archiving.
● Ensures relations with suppliers
● Ensures that the supply supervisor has the necessary information and documents (supplier list, etc.)
● Oversees the procurement of basic necessities (kits) in collaboration with the Procurement Manager.
5. Fleet management
If rented vehicles
● Ensures that standard services of ALIMA’s own and leased vehicles are performed, as well as daily and weekly checks.
● Ensures that the use of rented vehicles is recorded.
If ALIMA vehicles
● Manage the mechanical stock (spare parts, consumables, fuel stock).
● Implements weekly and daily vehicle usage planning.
● Controls the movements of the machines
● Ensures rational consumption for all vehicles, generators and motorized equipment.
6. Base and office
● Proposes a possible management improvement based on its data analysis
● With the medical activity managers and the project coordinator, determines the new, maintenance or supply needs for the medical infrastructures (energy, lighting, equipment, consumables) and for the team’s housing and offices.
● Participate in the reflection Eco responsible and bring up solutions that can be innovative by participating in the reduction of carbon consumption:; hybrid system, …
7. Security Management
● Accompanies the CP in the implementation of and compliance with security procedures and rules
8. Team management and animation
● Supports his teams in the organization of tasks by department
● Organizes training courses for upgrading and using logistics management tools
● Evaluates and provides support to the various departments of the Logistics Department.
9. Implementation of prevention measures against abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence :
● Participates in training and awareness sessions
● Implements abuse prevention standards
● Ensures that team members complete training and awareness sessions and implement abuse prevention standards
● Helps create and maintain a nurturing and protective environment.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
● Experience in managing the logistics of medical projects
● Experience working in patient care against epidemics, having worked in an Ebola environment is an asset
● Experience in a medical NGO of at least 3 years.
● Experience in team management and supervision
Qualities of the candidate
● Professional rigor
● Calm, excellent stress management and composure
● Very good communication and listening skills
● Ability to adapt
● Excellent ability to understand and follow medical procedures
● Good command of French (reading, writing, speaking) essential
● Fluency in English and/or a local language is an asset
● Contract term: contract under French law, contract length: 5 months (renewable, based on funding availability and performance)
● Position to be filled: ASAP
Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
● travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
● accommodation costs
● medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
● evacuation of the employee
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and your answers to our job page.
Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful. Only full applications will be taken into account. Only accepted applications will be contacted.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.