The NRC Central and West Africa region(CWARO) is composed of country offices in Burkina Faso/Niger, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mali, and Nigeria, with an overall budget of approximately 100 million USD and 1,500 dedicated colleagues. All countries are experiencing varying levels of deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs and displacements due to conflict increasingly impacted by climate change. Across the region new displacements occur alongside secondary displacements of people who are trying to return home, but often find themselves unable to return to their place of origin. While protracted displacement features heavily in the region, there are also opportunities for local integration and return
NRC’s programmes and advocacy support families affected by conflict in – Education, Livelihoods and Food Security, Legal Assistance (ICLA), Protection, Shelter and Settlements, and WASH.
1. Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Regional Head of Finance position is to assume the overall responsibility for financial management in the region promoting innovation and learning, and a cost conscious culture with a high focus on quality. The Regional Head of Finance has the overall responsibility for the strategic development of the Finance in the region. The following are some of the responsibilities :-
Financial Leadership and Management:
- Contribute to develop the regional strategy, ensure and monitor delivery against the financial plans through targeted financial analytical review and high accuracy in forecasts.
- Responsible for financial monitoring of the regional office budgets by providing accurate follow up of the spending plans and required donors reports
- Ensure that cost recoveries from country offices and hosting fees are secured and booked on monthly basis.
- Ensure integrity of the accounts of the countries within the region. Make sure that main policies and procedures are well understood; accounts are doing in accordance with NRC principles, balance sheet accounts are reconciled on monthly basis and deadlines for monthly closure are respected.
- Internal control – ensuring that funds are used as intended. Accountable for control of assets and liabilities, ensuring costs are accurately charged against budgets
- Provide consolidated financial reports for support to the Regional Director and Regional Management Team based on accurate financial analysis: Forecasts, Spending rates, Master budget monitoring, audit findings etc…
- Champion of cost effectiveness in general ensuring that countries and regions are operating with a sustainable cost base.
- Contribute to development and implementation of global finance strategy. Helping develop the overall functional strategy for NRC, lead or participate in specific initiatives on behalf of the whole organisation and drive implementation of agreed strategies within the region and the organization as a whole
- With Finance Managers, develop the financial management capacity of the finance staff and budget holders at CO level to ensure the organisation’s goals and objectives are met.
- Provide input into CO accounts and strategic / operational plans; critically reviewing CO budgets and performance against targets, and identifying action plans required to ensure the region is on track for achieving objectives
- Ensure compliance with legal country and grant regulations and financial management policies and procedures; reviewing monthly provision tracker with CO finance and Country Director to understand issues that will have financial impact on the organisation.
- Take the lead for Fiscal year closure as well as facilitation of annual external audit within the region
- Plan and conduct financial training for colleagues as needed in different departments across the countries in the region
- Ensure Country Finance Managers s and regional finance staff have the right finance skills and experience to carry out their roles.
- Assist with recruitment across the region, to ensure a world-class function
- Manage the regional finance team, defining expectations, providing leadership and technical support as needed and evaluating direct reports regularly.
- Be responsible for the recruitment and training of staff as appropriate and ensuring availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff.
- Manage the performance of all staff in the regional finance unit through staff development and performance management systems. Establishing results-based system and follow up.
- Global Finance at Head Office
- CO Finance Managers
- Regional Programme Department/grants
- Regional Risk and Compliance department
- Regional Head of Finance of other regions
- 5 years’ experience in senior level of financial leadership
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of Central and West Africa humanitarian context
- Management and oversight experience in a large international NGO
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of humanitarian donors
- Behavioural competencies in :-Strategic thinking; Empowering and building trust; Managing performance and development; Managing resources to optimise results
Find more details JD_ Regional Head of Finance Senegal, Dakar Aug 2022.docx
Publication Closing 2nd September 2022
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 24 months contract with possibility of extension
- Grade 10 in NRC’s grade structure
- Family duty station with accompanied benefits
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
**Apply by completing all the system required fields of your experience in your application**