Through the Platform for Dialogue and Action on Health Technologies in Africa (Health Tech Platform), the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) announces a call for entries for the inaugural Emerging Health Technologies Media Award of Excellence.
The Emerging Health Technologies Media Award is an annual recognition of journalists who have contributed to emerging health technology (EHT) reporting by publishing and producing stories on the subject.
- The objectives of the EHTs Media Award are to promote reporting of the emerging health technologies being developed for use in Africa, as well as to raise public awareness, understanding, participation, and local ownership of these technologies.
- The emerging health technologies for consideration include, but are not limited to, gene drives for malaria control and elimination; drones for improved health; artificial intelligence; and microgrids for healthcare.
- Individuals may submit one entry per category.
- The categories are as follows:
- Print journalism: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words published in a newspaper, magazine, journal or newsletter.
- Radio journalism: Documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Television journalism: Documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Online/new media: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words published in an online version of a mainstream newspaper, magazine, journal or a personal website. Audio/visual documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- EHTs Media Award Grand Prize: USD5,000.
- EHTs Media Award Print Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1, 000.
- EHTs Media Award Radio Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000.
- EHTs Media Award Television Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000.
- EHTs Media Award Online Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000.
- The EHTs Media Award is open to published and broadcasted works in print, radio, television, and online media. Only African journalists are eligible for the competition. The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organisations. The period of publication/broadcast of entries is from 1 October 2021 to 31 October 2022.
- The entries should address EHT development issues relevant to Africa, such as ongoing research, regulatory frameworks, community participation, public awareness and understanding, involvement of African scientists, equity and benefit sharing. The issues may be applicable to one African country or be regional in scope.
For more information, visit https://healthtechafrica.org/2022-emerging-health-technologies-media-award-of-excellence/