Position : Media Liaison Consultant
Organizational Unit : Media, Communications & Awareness Raising Unit
Duty Station : RO DAKAR
IOM Classification : consultancy
Type of Appointment : 4 months
Estimated Start Date : as soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 July 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The European Union (EU)-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (EU-IOM Joint Initiative) supports the efforts of African partner countries along the Central Mediterranean migration routes to strengthen migration governance and respond to urgent protection needs of migrants. The Initiative implements projects in 14 countries alongside a regional component: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Ghana, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Libya. The main areas of activity include: (i) increasing protection and assistance for vulnerable and stranded migrants; (ii) facilitating voluntary return; (iii) achieving sustainable reintegration; (iv) enhancing government and stakeholder policies and responses; (v) giving access to accurate information; and (vi) improving data on migration flows, routes, and trends as well as migrants’ needs and vulnerabilities.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Media and Communications Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing a media liaison support to the Media, Communications and Awareness Raising unit at IOM’s regional office for West and Central Africa to ensure that media campaigns are delivered.
Core Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for pitching migrants’ stories in a creative way that engages journalists in Africa and worldwide
- Regularly liaise with international and national media and leading contacts to offer news angles and pitch stories on IOM’s work and follow up to ensure quality coverage.
- Assist the regional Media, Communications and Awareness Raising unit to coordinate with involved internal and external stakeholders, develop and execute media strategies and activities around key initiatives and events to ensure IOM representation and visibility.
- Assist to organize interviews, briefings and other media events that generate support and coverage for IOM’s priorities.
- Assist to develop targeted media outreach for placement of relevant communication products, such as photo essays, multimedia content and others in domestic and international media.
- Integrate social media into overall media plans and activity
- Draft in French and English short press releases or quotes based on input from country experts
- Draft opinion pieces and blogs for the senior experts on priority themes, pitch to key media and follow up on the placement.
Media monitoring and reporting:
- Monitor media on a regular basis, identify opportunities to use the news agenda to raise awareness of IOM and its work.
- Monitor progress and adherence to agreed standards, including establishing systems to ensure accountability and reporting
- Carry out administrative tasks related to the post
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media studies, journalism, international relations, international development, marketing, or another related field.
- Professional working experience in an international setting with a minimum of two years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of international media and understanding of print, broadcast, and online media operations.
- Track record in coordinating media strategies, networking, and developing media materials in a deadline driven and target audience way;
- Good analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders quickly and easily, including those in the programmatic area to prepare strategic communications materials.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize, and work under tight deadlines.
Fluency in French and English is required.
Knowledge of one other local language is an advantage.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only Senegalese citizens or foreign nationals with valid work permit/visa will be considered.
Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested internal and external candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to [email protected] indicating position applied on the subject line by Friday 25 July 2022**.**
For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for the application as well as a detailed resume/CV, function email address and mobile number. Applications shall be addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line Media Liaison Consultant.
15 July – 25 July 2022