This is a G-5 contract. This kind of contract is known as General Service and related categories. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about G-5 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Support
UNICEF has been working in Cameroon since 1975 to allow women and children to fully realize their rights to development without restriction, as enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. UNICEF provides financial and technical support to Cameroon across seven areas to fully realize the rights of women and children. These areas include Health, HIV/AIDS, Water-sanitation-Hygiene, nutrition, education, child protection, and social inclusion. UNICEF focuses mainly on children and the most vulnerable and excluded families. Cameroon’s 2020 population is estimated at 26,545,863 people according to UN data. The population is young and generates strong socioeconomic demand. In rural areas, limited access to basic social services and the effects of climate change led to household impoverishment and severe child deprivations. The task is immense but not insurmountable; it requires the energy of all stakeholders in Cameroon and out of Cameroon: also, women, men, youth and children, government, technical and financial partners, donors, civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians, communities. Everyone is invited to take part in the struggle to meet the challenges that lie ahead. It is together that we will act for Cameroon, a country that summarizes the challenges and hopes of Africa.
For more information about UNICEF Cameroon, please click: here.
How can you make a difference?
Under supervision of the ICT Specialist, the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Assistant perform procedural and some specialized activities pertaining to UNICEF’s ICT systems, which include desktop administration and server operations. Specialized activities typically pertain to the installation and routine configuration of ICT system components and user orientation. Procedural activities include all other processes that may not require the application of specialized information technology training and knowledge, such as maintaining technical and user documentation and/or serving as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- General ICT / Office Support
- Minimal ICT Administration
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
General ICT / Office Support:
ICT assistants at this level perform a full range of procedural activities in support of ICT to ensure effective communications with client departments/divisions/offices and efficient provision of support to other ICT staff.
- Providing first-level support that includes receiving, processing and logging service requests.
- Managing lifecycle of ICT incidents assigned to him/her in service management tool.
- Configuring and maintaining telecommunications (HF/VHF systems/VSAT/Thuraya) and networking equipment
- Providing support in conferencing with ICT and audiovisual equipment as and when requested.
- Maintaining and updating files (electronic and paper) and internal databases.
- Maintaining ICT inventory, manuals and other documentation. This may require the incumbent to lift, move, mount, or store equipment.
- Registering and releasing of IT equipment and ensuring proper storage of IT & TC equipment
- Providing training to all UNICEF staff on the use of HF, VHF and Satellite communication equipment
- Arranging and clearing of pending ICT invoices and report promptly to supervisor of any problem affecting the payment to service provider
Minimal ICT Administration:
ICT assistants are accountable for specialized support pertaining to routine ICT activities requiring thorough understanding and application of server, operating system, hardware, and software documentation and functionality.
- Installing/upgrading, configuring (routine, standard), and maintaining systems, tools, and equipment.
- Monitoring of WAN and WLAN connectivity
- Providing support to fix LAN and end-users computers issues.
- Assisting in routine operation and monitoring of server systems.
- Providing first-level user support/troubleshooting.
- Extracting data from databases to serve the needs and requests of users, diagnosing errors and correcting as necessary.
- Performing backups of servers following standard backup procedures.
- Assisting in the generation of computer reports.
- Good Knowledge of LAN/WAN connectivity, Personal Computer, Disk Operating System, Network Operating System, and MS Windows
- Knowledge of fundamentals of telecommunications equipment installation and maintenance (HF/VHF systems/VSAT) and networking.
- Understanding of network troubleshooting tools both hardware and software
- Ability to understand data and effectively use office technology systems for its input and extraction.
- Ability to provide on-the-job orientation to clients.
- Takes responsibility to respond to service needs promptly and proactively.
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, reliability and honors matters of confidentiality.
- Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Demonstrates courtesy, tact, patience and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of network architecture, security architecture, TCP/IP, firewall, Ethernet switches, routers, Microsoft/UNIX Operating Systems.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training in Computer Science, Information Systems, Telecommunications, Engineering.
ITIL Foundation Certificate or equivalent customer support certification, Microsoft certification Client/Server is an asset.
- A minimum of five years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
Experience in providing assistance to users on IT products and services and the use of applications and diagnostic tools is required.
Practical work experience in operating and maintaining telecommunications networks and equipment
Practical experience in providing technical and business Customer Support and Services is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.