Call for expression of interest
Study on citizenship and political participation of youths in Cameroon
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
Duration: 32 days – August to November 2022
Sightsavers has a programme of work focused on the citizenship and political participation of people with disabilities and we have been working in West Africa on two projects funded by Irish Aid since 2017. Our new social inclusion strategy places greater emphasis on youth with disabilities and we would like to deepen our knowledge about the way young people engage in the public sphere, to ensure that our programmes are supporting young men and women with disabilities to become the leaders of tomorrow.
We are therefore looking at gaining knowledge on existing successful and innovative approaches enhancing youth citizenship and political participation in Cameroon.
We have several questions we would like answered thanks to a study on youth citizenship and political participation in Cameroon.
The expected deliverable from the consultancy is a study (35 pages without annexes) organized as below:
- Part 1: Capture which barriers (in attitudes and practices) exist in Youths with Disabilities (YWDs) political participation at local and national levels.
- Part 2: Capture how young women and men without and with disabilities engage publicly in local consultations, in civil society associations, in political movements, in campaigns, etc.
- Part 3: Based on part I, provide practical recommendations to overcome the barriers, promote and improve YWD’s participation in an innovative and contextually appropriate way.
*Annex 1: A list of key partners and programmes in Cameroon having an expertise in this area; (e.g. INGOs, NGOs, CSOs, OPDs, coalitions), with information on their specific added-value if we want to partner with them.
*Annex 2: A list of key youth movements in Cameroon that have proven to be active and visible in the area of citizenship and political participation, with information on their specific goals and key programmes if we want to partner with them.
The study must be provided in French.
Process and Methodology
The consultant will be expected to demonstrate commitment and pro-activity, and thus work with minimal external supervision.
The consultant will report to Sightsavers country office, with support from the Global Technical Lead when required. The consultant will be expected to work closely and collaboratively with various in-country stakeholders.
This is a highly varied and involved consultancy and the above is not an exhaustive list of deliverables or methodologies. Please see the Terms of Reference (ToR) for full details, including timeframes, the schedule of payments, and specifications.
- Expertise in youth citizenship and political participation, in local development, in youth movements and alliances, in youth engagement in public life
- Experience in working in developing countries, especially in West and Central Africa
- Knowledge on disability
- Awareness of gender issues
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking French and English
- Cultural sensitivity
- Report-writing and qualitative research expertise