Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
|Title||Program Lead: Education|
|Reports to||Program Implementation Manager|
|Deadline for submission||13/05/2022||Grade|
The post holder will provide leadership and strategic direction for Plan’s programs in Education. S/He will work closely with business Development team on proposal writing to increase Plan’s portfolio in Cameroon; Ensuring that all projects are aligned to the Country Strategy according to Cameroon policies and strategies. The incumbent will oversee all portfolios handled by education project managers and will be expected to develop tools and guidance proactively to have a consistent way of implementing Plan’s approaches and strategies in Cameroon. The job holder is member of Extended CLT.
S/He works closely with head of influencing unit to address Plan’s advocacy and influencing initiatives in favor of girls education as planned in the CS on one hand; documents Plan’s best practices and draw lessons on gender transformative program activities with communities in collaboration with Program Quality Manager.
Dimensions of the Role
- Acts as technical reference person for education sectors and represents Plan in all relevant fora and meetings.
- Oversees all education portfolios that are being implemented at field level (Projects) as a country program.
- A clear strategic paper is designed to detail how the CS’ program objective “Learn” on formal and non-formal basic education will be implemented.
- Support Project Managers in developing tools and guidance to harmonize the way we consistently do program work and implement program quality procedures.
- Responsible for developing and implementing a detailed gender-responsive quality education strategy for Plan International in Cameroon which will support the delivery of the Country Strategy and reflects the Global Strategy.
- Expand Plan’s work on IQE, ECD, SIP, safe school, code of conduct, EiE, Afflation, Reflect, ALP …etc across Plan’s geographic areas and contribute to influence other stakeholders beyond.
- Ensuring education policies and standards are shared/displayed and understood and adhered to by all staff.
- Position Plan as active member of Inclusive Quality Education areas of distinctiveness in relevant global and local networks.
- Supports DRM Manager in designing proposals and implementing projects for emergencies in the area of EiE.
- Consider Nexus programming to include programming in time of crisis and resilience.
- Applies/introduces innovative approaches and good practices to build capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable project results.
- Team-up with BDM and IT Coordinators to design innovative projects on ICT4D, ALP in collaboration with other program leads.
- Proactively design and share Plan’s approach for alternative education and accelerate advocacy work toward integration in government policies & strategies.
- Budget management responsibility at country level according to annual plan; consolidating and analyzing all education project budgets outputs and advise project managers and CLT of achievements and issues on regular basis.
- Support in monitoring project implementation milestones and reporting requirements in collaboration with MERKM units and BD team.
- Thorough understanding of global developments on Education and in particular follows trends and updates from UNICEF, UNESCO and MoE and ensure alignment of the project with both international and national education SDG priorities and plans.
- Liaise with other partners to identify areas for lobbying and advocacy and work with them to develop action plans/initiatives to address the same.
- Monitors CS program objective achievements and provide guidance to CLT, BD and PAM on programmatic gaps as well as RM strategies or funding opportunities to achieve the goal
- Develop high quality proposals in collaboration with BD, project managers and other heads of impact areas according to sound child rights situation analysis, Plan’s CS objectives and Cameroon priorities.
- Technical review of all project reports in the sectors
- Prepares corporate reports (Monthly, Quarterly and Annual) that demonstrates clear picture/footprint of Plan’s work in the field.
- Ensures PM/PC produce regular and high-quality project narrative & financial reports as required by the donor and internally within Plan International network
- Ensures PM/PC produce baseline, rapid internal mid-term and end of project assessments (including gender and adolescents), monitoring and evaluation reports and dissemination.
- Take a significant leadership role in compiling and sharing relevant, timely input for various internal and external communications material.
- Lead quarterly reports of Education and ECD based on agreed indicators in the CS results chain in line with MERKM Unit
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Dealing with Problems/Risks
- Strategic thinking and advising management in challenging operational environment during disease-prone disasters (EiE).
- Conduct risks analysis for each Education & ECD related project and advice management and field offices.
- High degree of complexity in resolving a wide range of challenges related to the programme
- Ability to solve high impact problems by providing flexible, dynamic, agile and innovative problem-solving leadership and implementation as needed throughout the project
- Works with minimum supervision, but in strong collaboration and cooperation within a team and partnership
- Designs, develops and supports the implementation of Education & ECD programmes within the organization
- Puts in place creative and easy to understand approaches that would support staff in understanding and implementing education and ECD programs
- Analyses issues for decision making to strengthen and support delivery of Education & ECD programs that meets organizational requirements and refer to high manager and governance structures for approval.
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact;
- A member of the Program Team: collaborating with other functions – sponsorship, finance, HR, IT and operations to ensure that program work is delivered timely with high quality
- Regionally; A member of the WACAH Network meetings: supporting colleagues and drawing on the support they can offer.
- Globally; Relates to International Networks like ECD, EiE, IQE for technical support on Global Policy, key strategies and approaches and share successes and learnings.
- Represents Plan in all relevant sectorial fora in Cameroon related to ECD & Education;
- Interact with Government institutions responsible for Education and ECD issues.
- MoE, UNICEF and other UN bodies
- Donors and other Agencies
- Local partners
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Relevant knowledge and experience;
- Minimum 5 years university studies in Education science or related field (Master Degree) or 3 years university Studies (Post Graduate Diploma) with at least 05 years of experience leading, managing and implementing large international development projects in Education and ECD
- Outstanding knowledge of Cameroon education system
- Professional experience interacting with Government donor agencies, host country governments, and other relevant stakeholders
- Senior level knowledge of project management within large grant context
- Knowledge of IQE and ECD cognitive approaches
- Extensive knowledge of the education and nutrition system in Cameroon considered an asset
- Knowledge of Results Based Management models
- Ability to integrate latest knowledge and best practices into program design
- Strong knowledge of the Rights of Child.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet.
- Experience managing a large child-centered and community-based programs for an international NGO.
- Knowledge about gender and development, experience and proficiency in managing programs that mainstream and promote gender equality at all levels.
- Excellent written and spoken English and French skills
- Communication – excellent negotiation and influencing skills in multi-cultural contexts
- Strong networking skills required for building partnerships with government both locally and nationally.
- Ability to build and foster collaborative working relationships with diverse stakeholders including project staff, local government representatives, local donor representatives, etc.
- Ability to monitoring project results and expenditures against work plans
- Analytical, report writing and editing skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- Strong negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills.
- Budgeting, financial management, and foreign exchange risk management skills.
- Proven leadership and people management skills: develops, motivates, coaches and promotes high performance by teambuilding.
- Solid understanding of compliance requirements of institutional and corporate donors.
- Experience in managing large grants in a partnership setting and using a multi-stakeholder approach.
- Behaves consistently in approach to work and decision-making
- Strongly drives performance forward in area of the business for which they are responsible together with the team
- Balances future vision with practical delivery
- Develops mutual trusting relationships with complex partnerships that have excellent business outcomes
- Sets a strong learning culture in their part of the organisation
- Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
- Aware of impact on others and adjusting own behaviour accordingly
- Tolerant of difference – cultural sensitivity in relation to its impact on reaching children
- Creative, solution-focused decision making
- Forward thinking, creative and looking for a challenge, flexible approach to dealing with ambiguity/changes in priorities.
- Ability to work comfortably and sensitively across cultures
- Able to work in a complex organisation and people environment
- Works in a participative community approach.
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transp
WARNING: Do not to pay any money to get a job. Please report fraudulent jobs to firstname.lastname@example.org