WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: First University degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.
Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
National Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
To provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations.
2. Provide engineering and project management services, apply best practises, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
3. Contribute towards the analysis of project proposal to enable effective decision making on project technical feasibility.
4. Prepare evidenced based recommendations for senior staff on measures to improve WFP facilities suitability to operational purpose, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment.
5. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
6. Provide technical guidance that support a successful construction procurement process.
7. Participate in technical or design review, exchange of knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to facilitate implementation of innovative engineering solutions.
8. Support the capacity building of engineering staff to facilitate the continued development and high performance.
9. Establish and maintain partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively meet clients’ expectations.
10. Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
11. Other as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives. Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners). Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission. Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.People
Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs. Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment. Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills. Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.Performance
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work. Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors. Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities. Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.Partnership
Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles. Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners. Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders. Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
FUNCTIONAL CAPABILITIES Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level Business Support Services & Reporting Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights. Internal Controls & Risk Management for Administration and Engineering Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction. Resource Management for Administration and Engineering Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients. Specialised Knowledge in Engineering Applies advanced engineering knowledge in own area of responsibility and working knowledge of other engineering disciplines to provide technical support to operations and projects. Leads independent action and decision making in an engineering context.
Engineering & Project Management Demonstrates a strong proficiency in developing project scopes, engineering and design proposals, and identifying required tasks and milestones. Applies working knowledge of project management tools, engineering technologies, techniques and best practice to track and monitor project progress, delivering projects on schedule and on budget.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
• Has attained advanced academic qualifications relevant to engineering.
• Has contributed to projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specialisations in relation to fire safety, seismic blast or environmental requirements.