Catholic Relief Services a Development Organization is seeking a qualified, experienced, and highly motivated Deputy Chief of Party I, Operations in charge of operations for the SEMBE-II President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI),- funded project which seeks to strengthen the capacity of the Cameroonian government and local stakeholders to lead and promote local solutions to the fight against malaria. You will work closely with the Chief of Party of the Project to provide oversight of operations functions and ensure the delivery of high-quality programming to serve the poor and vulnerable.
The position is based in based in Yaoundé/Cameroon and is contingent upon approved funding by the donor
- Manage contractual, financial, compliance, human resources, security, logistics, procurement, and administrative aspects of the development, implementation, and consolidation of the SEMBE-II project. Serve as a point of contact on area of responsibility to PMI/USAID as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders, when needed.
- Manage key functions of the project to meet USAID expectations and local regulations to support high quality programming in terms of timely and quality results and budget. Oversee sub-award management, including award development, monitoring, reporting and compliance. Coordinate with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director, and other technical area leads to contribute to ensuring coordination between program and operations staff. Contribute to ensuring the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Encourage and ensure effective communication with the CRS Cameroon operations team, as well as across SEMBE-II management and in satellite offices; Act as a liaison between the SEMBE-II central team in Yaoundé, the Cameroon country program and SEMBE-II satellite offices related to contracts, finance, administration, logistics, security, human resources, and procurement as requested by COP.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Contribute to the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all SEMBE-II staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans.
- Promote, uphold, and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Help ensure compliance with USAID grants, including financial tracking and oversight of partner budgets, finance, administration, and reporting to USAID.
- Maintain relationships with key staff of consortium partner organizations regarding area of responsibility. Contribute to coordination of the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Identify performance gaps and training opportunities for CRS and partner staff and recommend training and technical assistance.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce, Economics, International Development, International Relations, or a relevant technical area.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant management and technical experience
- Minimums of 3 years’ experience managing donor funds.
- Knowledge and experience in budget management.
- Experience working with partners and knowledge of multiple public donors’ regulations, including USAID, a plus.
- Experience with an NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) preferred.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems and knowledge of Oracle software or similar a plus.
- High level written and oral proficiency in French and English required.
- Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities.
- Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally
- Strategic in how to approach each relationship
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results oriented.
Required Travel: Must be willing and able to travel up to 40% of the time, mostly within Cameroon
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Application files including Cover letter and CV, 3 References, and copies of relevant supporting documents to the application should be forwarded to:
The Resident Representative
PO Box 1851, Yaoundé – Cameroon or by email to: [email protected] specifying “Deputy Chief of Party I, Operations “in the e-mail subject line
Closing date: November 15th, 2022, at 4:30 pm
Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
This position is a local position and only open for National Cameroonians in country.
Females’ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that this organization requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the agency Safeguarding Policy