This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks. The UNV Field Units (FU) are mainly accountable for the mobilization and placement of UN Volunteers in UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development and humanitarian needs. The UNV Field Units represent and position UNV in the respective countries and bring UNV’s services and solutions closer to its partners from governments, UN entities, civil society, and private sector.
Under the supervision of the Programme Analyst, the Programme Assistant provides administrative and operational assistance in the UNV Field Unit, in support of volunteer mobilization and deployment.
Volunteer mobilization and deployment support:
- Effective and efficient support of the Country Coordinator and UN partners in advocacy and outreach campaigns, such as the International Volunteer Day (IVD), presentation of promotional information with Host Entities, local volunteer organizations, etc.;
- Support onsite and online volunteer mobilization that increases the number of volunteers; In consultation with the Online Volunteering (OV) Programme Assistant in the respective Regional Office, act as a focal point for online volunteers and accreditation of OV service organizations, focusing on supporting host entities with developing OV opportunities through advocacy engagements and promoting the concept of OV;
- Support the deployment and assignment management of all UN Volunteer modalities;
- Support the recruitment of national UN Volunteers, including updating and maintaining a national UN Volunteers local candidate talent pool in coordination with the Volunteer Services Centre (VSC);
- Maintain files of all UN Volunteers assigned to the country, ensuring that all correspondence and periodic reports are properly kept in the respective volunteer management platform, and that related matters requiring action are brought to the attention of his/her supervisor;
- Monitor and keep records of the contractual status of all serving UN Volunteers and flag to VSC follow-up actions;
- Maintain up-to-date volunteer leave records and ensure that all UN Volunteers manage absences as per the UN Volunteer Conditions of Service;
- Maintain up to date contact records of all serving UN Volunteers, including their recognized dependents;
- Ensure that initial contract documents, beneficiary forms and inventories of personal effects of UN Volunteers are up-to-date, and submitted to UNV headquarters, VSC (through the respective volunteer management platform) in a timely manner, in accordance with the relevant provisions included in the UN Security Handbook as well as in the UN Volunteer Conditions of Service;
- Assist on the logistical and travel arrangements of arriving UN Volunteers and his/her recognized dependents;
- Facilitate government clearance and entry visas of incoming UN Volunteers and their recognized dependents;
- Provide the necessary support to UN Volunteers upon arrival, to open bank accounts as well as to complete forms required to obtain visas, residence permits, etc.;
- Undertake tasks for the local support of the UN Volunteers and recognized dependents in the country including in the cases of medical evacuation, security evacuations or the death of a UN Volunteer;
- Assist UNV HQ in ensuring all conditions are met before the payment of final entitlements to UN Volunteers at the end of their assignment.
Administrative and logistical support:
- Maintain inventories of all UNV-supplied, non-expendable equipment, and ensure records of all items purchased for UNV-executed projects are submitted to UNV headquarters;
- Maintain general office files and keep information and reference material in a manner that allows easy reference and retrieval;
- Perform other administrative duties as may be required.
Innovation; Leadership; People Management; Communication; Delivery.
Human Ressources, Administration and/or Programme Support services.
Certification in HR, administration, accounting or finance is desirable.
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs;
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency;
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled;
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to plan, organize, motivate, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals;
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Experience using computers and office software packages (ERP, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is highly desirable
- Experience as a UN Volunteer will be considered an asset.
- Experience with the UN will be considered an asset.
The living conditions are Yaounde are relatively good, but housing and accommodation costs are high. Especially in areas heavily populated by internationals and diplomats. There are frequent power cuts and water shortages. Modern shopping malls exist bit tend to be expensive; the local market sells fresh fruits and vegetables which are reasonably priced and affordable. As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials.