Over the past 40 years, MCD Global Health (MCD) has worked to strengthen health systems through integrated, sustainable and locally driven interventions across several public health sectors. MCD collaborates with donors, national governments, the private sector, health agencies, communities and local stakeholders to improve health and save lives in the following areas: water, sanitation, and hygiene; malaria control; maternal, neonatal and child health; tuberculosis; HIV/AIDS; Zika; and other communicable diseases.
MCD is currently seeking candidates to serve as the Technical Director for the anticipated, five-year USAID-funded Cameroon President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) Bilateral Project. The Project seeks to improve access to timely, quality, and well-documented malaria testing and treatment by providing community health workers with training and supervision to provide quality, effective care.
Reporting to the Project Chief of Party (COP), the Technical Director will be responsible for technical oversight of project activities with a focus on continuous quality improvement and capacity strengthening in malaria prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and surveillance. He/she will work in close collaboration with national, province, and local government stakeholders, local and community organizations, and other partners to support a range of activities essential to malaria prevention and control in Cameroon.
This is a key position on the project team and is contingent upon award to MCD.
Essential Job Functions:
• Provide technical leadership and oversight to strengthen capacity for malaria diagnosis and treatment, with a focus on the community level;
• Provide capacity‐building technical assistance to the NMCP in community malaria case management, including in the review and development of malaria program policy and strategy, developing case management tools, and participating in technical working groups;
• Assist the COP in ensuring that the Project monitors its progress and performance and achieves the Project benchmarks as per the Project Monitoring and Evaluation Plan;
• Provide technical support for training and supportive supervision of trained community health workers;
• Assist the COP in annual work planning and budgeting and reporting (quarterly and annually) process in accordance with USAID rules and regulations;
• Supervise Project technical staff, and provide capacity building to Project staff as necessary;
• Ensure the Project has appropriate representation at high‐level stakeholder meetings and national and/or regional malaria technical working groups;
• Contribute to the knowledge management aspects of the Project, to include documenting project results and impacts, and dissemination of lessons learned and best practices, in various forms.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required:
• Advanced degree in public health, infectious diseases, or related field required; clinical degree (MD, RN, etc.) preferred;
• At least 10 years of progressive experience implementing malaria or other public health programs in Cameroon or in the region, including at least 5 years of experience as a senior technical advisor/director in malaria programs with community-based interventions;
• Experience supporting service delivery quality improvement initiatives preferred;
• Demonstrated experience interacting and maintaining relationships with high‐level stakeholders and host country government officials;
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with project staff, implementing partners, civil society organizations, community leaders and local government authorities to implement and strengthen community and facility‐based malaria services;
• Experience working with USAID/PMI and knowledge of USAID rules and regulations are preferred;
• Strong management and problem solving skills;
• Proficient in the use of the standard Microsoft Office package with particular experience using
Words, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer;
• Prior experience working in Cameroon is strongly preferred;
• Full professional proficiency in English and French;
• Priority will be given to qualified Cameroonian nationals.
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon Schedule: Full‐time Grade 11
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31, 2022. Compensation will be based on USAID FSN scales.