Shelter/WASH USAID – Project Manager
The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with Country Program Offices in Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Liberia, Niger, Tanzania, and Uganda. AIRD registration in South Sudan was recently finalized. AIRD’s objective is to offer operational technical support, including but not limited to: supply chain, logistics and infrastructure in partnership with relief and development organizations that focus on disaster-affected, poverty-infested and development oriented areas. AIRD delivers for and through partners including but not limited to UN Agencies, international and national donor organizations and governments.
AIRD now seeks to recruit a qualified and motivated Shelter/WASH USAID -Project Manager to be based in South Kivu Province, DRC.
The Shelter/WASH Project Manager will manage, coordinate and monitor Shelter, WASH and NFI activities in South Kivu province, he/she will manage relationships with other implementing partners, beneficiary representatives, host communities, local government and other project stakeholders to help achieve the objectives of the programme by advancing the work of AIRD in the service of beneficiaries.
1. General Duties
- Carry out activities related to programme management, formative supervision and coordination of day-to-day project activities in the field;
- Conduct regular field and site visits to ensure effective implementation of programme/project activities at the local level;
- Actively participate in the preparation of project reports and budgets;
- Supervise projects to ensure the quality of activities carried out and learning;
- Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques;
- Establish and maintain effective communication with the donor and other key agencies regarding program management issues;
- Provide updates on project progress in the project area to the Program Coordinator on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Shelter management/ WASH/ NFIs
- Daily project management for all activities in the WASH/Shelter USAID Project;
- Supervise and coordinate assigned engineering, planning, design and construction work;
- Meet quality, budget and schedule requirements as stated in the contract;
- Coordinate the project administration and approval process and provide updates
- Participate in the proposal of new humanitarian projects for South Kivu;
- Participate in staff training and awareness raising among all project stakeholders;
- Liaise with partners to ensure correct and complete implementation of the project;
- Undertake technical and feasibility studies, including on-site surveys, complex and repetitive calculations;
- Include protection and gender aspects in the implementation of the programme;
- Evaluate the sustainability and environmental impact of projects, put in place the necessary impact reduction measures.
- Participate in the integration of new staff into the project;
- Conduct personnel assessments according to AIRD systems;
- Support the systems and procedures for the selection, recruitment and discipline of the Office’s staff;
- Participate in capacity building of national staff, identification of staff training needs and provision of mentoring support, as appropriate.
Reports and Communications
- Ensure daily communication and coordination with the Programme Coordinator, participate in meetings of the Country Management Team /Management Team and coordinate meetings and management briefings of the field office;
- Ensure the detailed production of internal reports of the AIRD programme, as indicated by the Programme Coordinator.
- Represent AIRD to local authorities, other organizations and NGOs on issues related to the programme;
- Ensure that all parties concerned are kept informed of AIRD- activities, where appropriate;
- Support the Programme Coordinator and the Country Director in their public relations/communications role in the country.
Donor and partner activity
- Coordinate information gathering and draftreports and budgets in partnership with the finance department to be submitted to headquarters for approval;
- Identify and collect information on possible ongoing donor funding and future funding opportunities to complement programme activities;
- Create and maintain relationships with donors, partners and other parties.
- Develop and maintain systems for recording program activities, results and impact;
- Provide relevant documents, case studies, photographs, events and media contacts in accordance with the profile, identity and message of the AIRD – in accordance with the guidelines of the CPD and the Head Office Communications Department;
- Develop appropriate internal reporting formats and ensure efficient internal information flows.
Required languages: Must be fluent in Both French and English (written and spoken)
- At least 3 years of practical experience in humanitarian response;
- Ability to design and plan and execute a project;
- Knowledge of the Shelter and WASH sectors;
- Ideally have experience in both shelter and WASH sectors;
- Knowledge of USAID procedures is an asset;
- Graduate degree in Civil Engineering, Rural Engineering, Architecture, or any other appropriate field of development assistance;
- Experience working with international development partners, international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) is an asset;
- Be willing to travel for program requirements.
How to apply
Applications clearly indicating ‘Shelter/WASH– USAID Project Manager’’ in the subject line may be sent to [email protected] latest 23rd September 2022