Population Services International
Job ID 2022-3610 # of Openings 1 Posted Date 19 hours ago Category Technical Health Areas Position Location: City Washington, DC Region Population Services International Position Location: Country United States
Advisor I, Research Based in Washington DC or a country where PSI is registered 15-50% international travel Work From Almost Anywhere Status = Remote eligible Reports to Senior Research Advisor, Malaria and WASH Who we are Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Join us! From 2008 to 2017 the PSI-led research project ACTwatch served as the most reliable source of nationally representative market data on antimalarial and diagnostic commodities across 12 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Greater Mekong Subregion. Data were used by national and international stakeholders to design, plan and evaluate malaria market strengthening interventions. National antimalarial market outlet surveys collected information on antimalarial and RDT availability, price, and market share. See www.actwatch.info for more information.
Supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, PSI is updating its ACTwatch model to collect novel private sector market data beginning in 2022. ACTwatch Lite will leverage a digital ecosystem to reduce fieldwork timelines and minimize the gap between the end of fieldwork and availability of study results. Updated results will inform national and subnational decision-making and serve as the basis of define and monitor private sector malaria interventions. Study tools and resources will also be packaged and promoted to support uptake of routine monitoring by the community of practice.
ACTwatch Lite will be implemented in three countries (Benin, Cameroon, and Nigeria) over the next two years, led by PSI’s Malaria Department, country teams and national partners. The project is expected to begin in August this year, but the start date is contingent on contract signature. PSI seeks an Advisor I, Research that will support the design, research quality and ethical compliance of fit-for-purpose research on the ACTwatch Lite portfolio. The Advisor I, Research will support study planning and implementation, including data analysis and the production of research outputs.
Your contributions • Research: Support the design and provide technical review of country research studies to ensure quality and compliance. Conduct quantitative data analysis and produce concise, well written outputs (PowerPoint decks and narrative reports), describing research findings for technical and general audiences. Support implementation of company-wide initiatives, including the development of logframes, data and research use frameworks and tools, data capture forms, and data protection/quality initiatives. 65% of the Time
o Under the guidance of the Senior Research Advisor and working closely with the Advisor II, Research, lead and support ACTwatch Lite research activities to ensure relevance, quality, and comparability across countries through adaptation of study designs, fieldwork approaches, data cleaning/analysis and outputs.
o Co-lead in-country training and quality assurance at the start of fieldwork.
o Support the packaging and dissemination of study materials to the broader public health community.
• Program Management: Support the development, review, or documentation of annual research plans and learning agendas. Support activity budgeting, monitoring of project timelines, and reporting. 10% of the Time
• Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management: Contribute to the implementation of thought leadership and knowledge management agendas, including the development and internal and external dissemination of technical and programmatic briefs, webinars, and reports. 10% of the Time
• Representation: Represent the research function for the project and malaria department internally and externally. May present research results to donors and other external audiences. 10% of the Time -Fundraising: Contribute to new business development by contributing to or reviewing proposals. 5% of the Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
• Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (e.g., MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA).
• At least 3 years of related experience. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
• Experience designing, collecting, cleaning, analyzing, and presenting quantitative research.
• Experience in conducting large-scale, standardized surveys in developing countries.
• Experience using digital/electronic data collection software, with Open Data Kit (ODK) preferred. Demonstrable data management and analytic skills, with proficiency in Stata including development of model syntax and automation.
• Expertise in malaria case management or pharmaceutical drugs preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal English and French skills required.
• Experience implementing quality assurance protocols during research implementation.
• Experience submitting research protocols to Research Ethics Boards (REBs).
• Ability to produce research products and tools with oversight and direction.
• Ability to provide research technical assistance to the PSI network with support and oversight.
• Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal colleagues. Able to work as a member of a team and independently.
• Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
• Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
• Proficiency in Microsoft 365, high level of knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Cultural humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
**Measurement:**You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them. Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect. **Honesty:**You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve. **Collaboration:**You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed. **Trust:**You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt. **Commitment:**You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: [email protected] or call (202)785-0072 PI193946318