Responding to the world’s worst humanitarian crises in a great variety of roles, the International Rescue Committee’s staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
We are one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provide relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. We are committed to innovation and creative partnerships.
Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, we assist people from harm to home.
Do you have great MEAL skills and experience, and a desire to support country MEAL teams across West Africa? This role may be for you!
Positioned within the West Africa Regional Measurement team, the main purpose of the role is to provide the BHA funded Pro-Sahel project, alongside other special projects and Measurement initiatives with MEAL leadership and hands-on technical support for exemplary delivery of MEAL processes, systems and products that motivate teams and inspire best practice across the IRC. This role includes travel up to 50% of the time.
PRO-Sahel is a multi-country Protection project funded by BHA and led by the IRC. The IRC, Danish Refugee Council (DRC) and Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) implement the project through integrated approaches in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.
1. Provide MEAL leadership and hands-on technical support to Pro-Sahel and additional special projects, including but not limited to:
• Supporting overall project level use of data and learning for decision making.
• Review key MEAL outputs of projects, to ensure that data is correctly analyzed, interpreted and presented.
• Providing technical oversight and coordinate design and delivery of project assessments and evaluations.
• Providing technical oversight and coordinate MEAL inputs to project proposals to ensure that logframes, indicators, MEAL plans, MEAL budgets and resource plans are appropriate to the project need and aligned to IRC’s MEAL standards.
• Leading on design and delivery of overall project level MEAL deliverables, including presentation of indicator progress and data insights for reporting.
• Ensuring appropriate and effective MEAL systems are in place, consistent with established IRC benchmarks, plans and organizational MEAL frameworks, standards, and policies.
• Supporting country teams in planning and executing client responsiveness activities and implementation of client feedback mechanisms/ SOPs.
• Supporting delivery of the IRC’s Measurement Technology Strategy and Data Ambition, in close collaboration with the Regional Senior Specialist for Measurement Technology.
• Supporting representation of project MEAL at internal and external meetings, forums, and other events.
• Ensuring MEAL practice meets donor and IRC Measurement expectations.
• Providing donor specific MEAL expertise and guidance.
• Supporting uptake and adherence to IRC Measurement Standards and Practices by providing MEAL training to staff with MEAL responsibilities.
2. Provide MEAL leadership and technical support to special Measurement initiatives, including but not limited to:
• Fostering country, regional and global collaborations by:
o Identifying opportunities to ground Measurement initiatives in project practice.
o Supporting Communities of Practice (CoP) where MEAL staff working within and across projects, sectors and countries share best practice, learn from one another, provide input into new tools and resources and build harmonized best practice across IRC contexts.
o Enabling strong collaboration between CRRD Technical Unit and Strategic Initiative Technical Advisors, regional and country stakeholders
• Contributing to Measurement initiatives where there is alignment with special project requirements and priorities.
• Linking special project processes and deliverables to Strategic Action (Implementation) Plan commitments and outcomes, to support country delivery.
Key working relationships:
Position Reports to West Africa Regional Measurement Advisor, in MiP with the Pro-Sahel Project Coordinator for related deliverables.
Position directly supervises: None on ongoing basis. May temporarily supervise in-country MEAL staff and/or staff on short-term contracts.
During country assignments:
Regional leadership colleagues, especially regional focal points for Measurement, M&E technology and Awards Management;
Pro-Sahel project staff and supporting Technical Advisors;
Learning and Training Advisor; Client Responsiveness Technical Specialist, MEAL Standards and Systems team, other Measurement Unit and Technical Unit staff;
In-country: Deputy Director for Programs, M&E/ MEAL Teams, Program Coordinators and Managers throughout the country program, Coordinators and Managers, Finance Coordinators,
External: occasional engagement with Partners, Governments and Clients
• A University degree in a relevant subject area (statistics, monitoring & data management, social science, public health, economic development, or a related field);
• A minimum 5 years of experience within Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning-related functions, within IRC or a similar humanitarian agency, including leadership in support to consortium and multi-partner projects and/or initiatives, and experience working on USAID funded projects;
• Demonstrated ability to promote staff learning within and across projects and organizational units through the development and facilitation of training sessions, as well as through mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods
• Strong presentation and reporting skills;
• Strong management and social skills and proven track record of working effectively with diverse groups of people in a multicultural environment;
• Self-motivated with excellent organization, planning, and analytical skills – able to work without close supervision, including prioritizing work and multi-tasking;
• Experience in roving positions or short-term consultancy assignments, especially in humanitarian or development projects is an advantage;
• Proficiency and experience with mobile data collection including Microsoft Excel, CommCare, Kobo / ODK Collect are crucial;;
• Knowledge of PowerBI and statistical software are additional assets;
• A strong understanding of Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and proven ability to build Client Feedback Systems is a distinct advantage;
• Willingness to travel, including to sites in high-security environments, up to 50% of the time;
• Fluency in French and English (written and speaking) essential.
At IRC – we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other human demographic.
Candidates from other locations in West Africa where IRC is present are also encouraged to apply