The NRC Central and West Africa region includes operations in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mali, Niger, and Nigeria. All countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs and displacements due to conflict. Aid workers continue to be affected by security incidents across the region. Shrinking humanitarian space also places aid workers at a greater risk. The expansion of areas controlled by NSAG and challenged application of International Humanitarian Law by state security forces contributes to risks faced by communities as well as NRC’s staff.
Located in Dakar, Senegal, the Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) oversees the country programmes in the region, and provides strategic guidance and oversight across core programme, advocacy and support functions.
Role and responsibilities
The Regional Head of HSS serves as the lead technical resource on health, safety and security risks and crisis management within CWA region. This function is line managed by the Regional Director (RD) and supervised in a technical line by the Global HSS Director. This role acts as the technical supervisor for Country HSS Managers or equivalent within the region, and serves as a core member of the Regional Management Group and Crisis Management Team. The RHoHSS plays a fundamental role in capacity building and Duty of Care.
- Promote and stimulate HSS risk management culture
- Serve as the technical resource for the RD and Country HSS Managers within the region
- Implement the NRC Global HSS Management System at regional level, including global HSS initiatives
- Ensure guidance, support and capacity building to HSS staff and Country Office management in the region
- Develop and implement specific HSS procedures, SOPs, guidelines and tools in the region
- Ensure general overview of the security context within the region and brief the Regional Management Group (RMG) on key security developments and emerging threats
- Serve as a member of the Regional Crisis Management Team, deploy to support country crisis teams within the region upon request, and contribute to the development of crisis management capacity within the region-Play a leading role in critical incident management
- Conduct security risk assessments in relation to internal investigations
- Regional Duty of Care Committee
- Ensure control mechanisms in HSS in NRC operations in the region
- Carry out other duties of temporary character appointed by the Central and West Africa Regional Director
What we look for
- Minimum 7 years of experience from working as a senior manager in a humanitarian/recovery context, including experience as an HSS manager , especially focus on security
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Substantial and demonstrated experience as a trainer
- Advanced knowledge of risk assessment and management best practices and international standards
- Advanced knowledge of humanitarian security management best practices
- Demonstrated experience in crisis management
- Flexible, service oriented and with Team spiriit
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the conflict and humanitarian context in Central and West Africa
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar change processes
- Experience in risk management with implementing partners
- Professional qualifications or studies in general management, HSS and/or risk management
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
More info on the role here.
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- 24 months contract
- Grade 10 on NRC salary scale
- Location: Dakar, Senegal
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Deadline to apply: 9/11/2022
How to apply
If interested, please apply here.