Position title : Programme Support Trainee
Supervised by : Programme Manager
Reporting to : Programme Manager
Duty station : Meiganga
Area of Operation : Cameroon
Employment Period : 12 months
Type of contract (Expat/National/Trainee) : Trainee
Salary & Benefits : 10,000 DKK
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profitmaking, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Cameroon since 2018. DRC in Cameroon is providing response for protection, food security and economic recovery and shelter/NFIs needs of displaced populations and host communities in the South West and East/Adamawa regions.
Based in Meiganga, Programme Support Trainee will support all projects implemented by DRC in the East and Adamawa regions of Cameroon. Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, s/he will work on project development and implementation and support the programme and MEAL teams with monitoring, evaluation and reporting (Programme Management Tool review, donor reporting). S/he will provide proofreading support for reports written in the field, play the role of communication focal point between the field-based teams and the coordination in Yaoundé and assist the field teams in producing accurate and analytical documents, in accordance with donor guidelines (interim and final reports, project proposals, etc.). S/he will also support the Programme Manager with the planning of project activities and coordination of field teams. S/he will be responsible for any other task as delegated by the Programme Manager. The Programme Support Trainee will dedicate a substantial amount of his/her time to supporting the implementation and monitoring of protection activities.
The Programme Support Trainee will work extensively with the programme department in the East/Adamawa regions and in the coordination in Yaoundé and interact with support departments.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Programme Manager, the Programme Support Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead the review of donor or activity reports (compile and proofread inputs from the field based team, coordinate with field teams to address comments made by the coordination team in Yaoundé on reports, ensure respect of deadlines).
- Support the Programme Manager in implementing and monitoring projects:
- Development of activity ToR when relevant
- Update project related workplans on a regular basis
- Provide support to programme team for activity implementation
- Support on analyzing and managing protection data in coordination with MEAL/PIM team
- Coordinate with the MEAL team to ensure completion of the PMT (Project Monitoring Tool)
- Coordinate with the Yaoundé-based programme team for the development of project proposals and cost-extensions
- Support the MEAL team responsible for all capitalization responsibilities
- Support capacity building of the field teams (activity reports, donor reports…)
- Support the Program Manager in building the MEAL and assessment capacity of his/her teams (Team Leader, Officer, Assistant and Coach)
- Represent DRC in various meetings and fora when requested by the Programme Manager
- Active participation in all project review meetings.
- Manage archives of reports through the internal DRC system sharepoint.in collaboration with the Grants Trainee in Yaoundé
4. Required Qualifications
- Post-graduate degree/ University Degree (Bachelor or Master) in International Development/ Development Studies, International Relations, Economics, Political Science/ Public Affairs, Business Administration or Management, agriculture, or another relevant field is required;
- Programme management experience is an asset;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels;
- Full professional fluency in French language
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Understanding of the different contexts of the West and Central Africa Region;
- Excellent Computer Skills (MS Office, Internet) and an advanced proficiency in Excel are required.
- High organizational capacities
5. Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills are necessary
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
6. General Regulations
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
How to apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot employ, under an international traineeship or volunteering agreement, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case, the Republic of Cameroon)
Applications close on 15th August 2022. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.