The Officer, Procurement will be responsible for, and accountable for executing procurement and providing technical oversight and support to the procurement activities assigned to supervised staff in accordance and in compliance with International Medical Corps, host country and donor procedures, rules and regulations. Keeps close contact with the country Logistics team for guidance, technical support and reporting related to procurement. Typically works under the direct supervision of the Coordinator Logistics. Geographic scope: Countrywide.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation:
Specific responsibilities include:
Coordination and representation:
• Manages the country procurement activities. Provides technical oversight, input, direction to Logistics & Supply Chain staff on procurement matters to ensure effective and timely support to projects implementation.
• Supports initial Logistics and Supply Chain assessment and continuous reassessing of the operational context for the country mission and optimal resource planning.
•Ensures procurement activities are conducted in line with applicable policies, procedures, SOPs and guidelines.
• Actively engages in projects planning, design, and budgeting to ensure that required logistics human and material resources and systems are accounted for and are suitable to support planned operations and expected workload.
• Develops and implements procurement strategies in line with country program/operation strategy and preparedness plan.
• Enhances business coordination among the logistics, program and finance departments to develop consensus around priorities and joined problem solving to improve the delivery of assistance to beneficiaries.
• Identifies and anticipates procurement related risks impacting program activities. Develops and implements related risk mitigation/reduction activities.
• Ensures together with country management and Logistics Coordinator that procurement support requirements for effective project support, are correctly accounted for and budgeted in all project proposals.
• Pro-actively coordinates with heads of department and develops procurement solutions, feed other departments with relevant procurement information and data useful to enhance project deliverables and seeks feedback to ensure actions on identified improvements.
• Drive operational excellence to achieve optimal efficiency and cost-effectiveness in procurement.
• Identify and share ideas, innovations, best practices and request for improvements related to procurement business processes and related tools at local and global level.
• Implements, analyzes and monitors Key Performance Indicators for procurement aspects.
• Ensures standard reports are prepared, analyzed and shared with stakeholders as per standard requirements and schedule.
• Represents positively International Medical Corps to government officials, community representatives, Logistics Cluster, NGO Forums, partners and vendors in a positive and professional manner.
• Contributes to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, through the application of International Medical Corps’ mandate, ethics and values both internally and externally.
• Responsible for implementation of US Export Compliance regulations and Anti-Terrorism and Prohibited Party Screening Policy, within procurement activities of the country mission.
• Ensures that procurement activities minimize negative impact on environment.
Procurement and supply chain
• Accountable for the timely and transparent acquisition of equipment, supplies and services, for program support and implementation, through effective direction of the procurement section, while ensuring compliance with IMC, host government and Donor’s procedures and regulations.
• Ensures open, transparent, ethical and free competition for procurements is adhered too.
• Maps and analyzes the International Medical Corps supply chain for country operations.
• Ensures that market surveys are performed regularly, to inform sourcing strategy through understanding of the market (including items availability and costs, identifying eligible suppliers, etc.)
• Ensures that vendors are registered, assessed, and prequalified (as required).
• Ensures Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for purchase and delivery of supplies/equipment/services are agreed with supported departments, monitored, periodically reviewed and updated.
• Ensures that procurement planning timelines accounts for agreed SLAs.
• In collaboration with the Project Managers/Budget Holders, responsible for supporting the development of the project Procurement Plan process and launch of procurement activities to enhance project timely work-plan implementation trough active participation in operational and pipelines meetings.
• Assist the Logistics Coordinator in ensuring that Procurement Plans are shared, consolidated, and integrated in the Country Procurement Strategy leading to the implementation of strategic contracting in appropriate markets.
• Ensures proper implementation of item catalogue use in procurement activities, including initiation of addition for any new items as appropriate.
• Ensures that Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) are implemented and monitored for essential and frequently purchased commodities/services/equipment.
• Promotes enhanced business and advanced negotiation practices, positive and ethical business relations with suppliers.
• Act as procurement officer for complex, strategic, high risks and high value procurement actions.
• Reviews procurement documentation prior to submission for CD approval.
• Responsible for ensuring regular feedback on procurement activities progress is available to all stakeholders through provision of accurate Procurement trackers and Procurement Plans updates.
• Ensures documented quantity and quality control for all deliveries.
• Ensures that performance of vendors is monitored and documented to mitigate risk of future engagement of under-performing vendors.
• Ensures timely payment request to Finance, in line with contract payment terms.
• Collects and analyzes Productivity and Quality evaluation indicators, feedback from requesters/users and business partners/suppliers and adjust sourcing & contracting strategies accordingly to achieve the best Value-For-Money within procurement related activities.
Staff Capacity building and Performance Management, Learning & Development:
• Provides leadership and support to all IMC logistics and supply chain staff on procurement related matters.
• Builds and maintain fit for purpose team structure with appropriate segregation of duty through continuous planning and optimization of human resources within department.
• In collaboration with Coordinator Logistics, inducts, coaches, trains, supervises and mentors direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, providing regular and timely feedbacks
• Maintains open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their roles.
Compliance, Audit and related controls
• Accountable for procurement activities compliance with IMC policies and procedures and applicable donor regulations and local laws.
• Responsible for implementation of control mechanisms over procurement activities compliance.
• Remains updated of donor policies and procedures related to procurement and is responsible for timely dissemination and consistent application across the country program.
• Conducts assessment and evaluation of risks impacting procurement and ensures action plans are in place to mitigate, minimize or remove risks impact.
• Maintains accurate filing systems, with documented and auditable records of all procurement transactions and reports.
• Ensures timely submission timely of mandatory procurement trackers and reports to the country management team
• Ensures Export Compliance requirements for all procurement actions are screened, applied and properly documented in line with applicable license terms & conditions, to avoid any potential violation. Consults with HQ Focal Points for export compliance on existing licenses requirements and need for any new license or renewal of licenses required to conduct operations.
• Committed to fraud prevention, detection, reporting and fraud risk reduction as per IMC policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws.
Logistics Management & Information System (LMIS)
• Supports implementation of software solution for procurement at country level.
• Ensures LMIS users are trained and use procurement software solutions in a consistent and accurate manner.
• Ensures that country related LMIS procurement reports/dashboards are available or accessible to stakeholders.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
- Perfect personal integrity.
- Typically, a Bachelor’s degree in Humanitarian Logistics, Supply Chain Management, International transport, business trade, or Humanitarian Supply Chain Management. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- 3+ year of relevant experience working in humanitarian logistics.
- Commitment and demonstrated skills to build national staff capacity in the areas of logistics management, supervision, and monitoring.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
- Strong interpersonal, management and leadership skills. Experience in remote management.
- Ability to create and maintain effective team spirit, work in participatory manner with staff under supervision and other stakeholders to assess needs, implement and monitor activities.
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural team.
- Advanced use of MS pack. Able to build staff capacity on design and use of excel forms.
- French/English (Able to read, analyze and interpret business contracts, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports).
- Prior knowledge and understanding of donors’ rules and regulations applicable to Logistics and Procurement (PRM/CDC/BHA, UNHCR, ECHO, WFP, etc.) is desired.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions (including in the medical field) and possessing resourcefulness, flexibility and creativity essential to work with a wide range of programs activities.
Code of Conduct As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one’s own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps’ policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
Safeguarding It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
Equal Opportunities International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the website for reporting misconduct: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com*. Please do not submit your CV or application to this website, it will not be considered for review.*
How to apply
Application files including: Cover letter and CV, 3 References and copies of relevant supporting documents to the application should be forwarded at International Medical Corps to the following address e-mail: [email protected]