The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with Country Programme Offices in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia, Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Niger and Uganda. AIRD’s objective is to offer operational support, including but not limited to: supply chain, logistics, construction, infrastructure, environment, livelihoods and WASH in partnership with relief and development organizations that focus on disaster-affected and development-oriented areas. AIRD delivers for and through partners including but not limited to UN Agencies, international and national donor organisations and governments.
AIRD is seeking for a dynamic, qualified and experienced Operation Manager/Chief Mechanic to oversee, steer, manage and support the logistics (fuel, fleet, warehouse, and workshop) and supply chain operations of the Country Program Office. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to work with a devoted team, to Empower Communities, Growing Together.
1. General Duties
- Conduct activities pertaining to operational management, supportive supervision and coordination of daily program activities in the field.
- Conduct regular field and site visits to ensure effective implementation of the program/ project activities at grass root levels
- Participate actively in preparing project proposals and budgets for logistics operations
- Establish and maintain effective communication with UNHCR and other lead agencies regarding operations management matters
- Provide updates to Head Office, Donors and Partners of operations progress on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Implement AIRDs SOPs and partnership agreements signed with Donors.
2. Specific duties
- Plan, direct and control all matters relating to operations including workshops, fleet, warehouse and fuel management
- Manage the ERP stock control levels and ensure that inventory records are accurate for purposes of efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure that all operations systems, policies and procedures are rolled out, understood, and implemented by the relevant staff in all program areas.
- Participate in strategic and day-to-day management decisions aimed at achieving the strategic goal of AIRD
- Play an active role in preparing for internal and external audits, while ensuring recommendations related to operations are followed and necessary measures to address audit findings are taken.
- Develop a comprehensive dash board to ensure follow-up and analysis in all operational areas is updated on a monthly basis
- Participate in the development and/or review of proposals to ensure that operational concerns, requirements and resource needs are captured and reflected
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented Annual performance reviews.
3. Strategic leadership and management
- Work with the CPD and Country Leadership Team to provide leadership in developing and delivering the strategic direction and management of the organization.
- Work closely with other members of the Country Program Team to ensure effective co-operation and collaboration across departments and individuals in support of the organization’s operative objectives.
- Actively build and maintain systems that allow for the growth and development of all direct reports.
- Welcome and inducts new team members into the organization and facilitate collaboration across and within your team.
- Share key messages and relevant information with direct reports; seek out, address and/or escalate feedback as appropriate.
4. Qualifications, experience and skills
A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field; At least 7 years of managerial or supervisory experience or a Master’s Degree in the same fields with 3 years of experience; Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment; Must be in position to carry out extensive field visits countrywide where the program/Project is being implemented; Skills in reporting, organized, disciplined, demonstrated teamwork as well as independent work ability; proficient computer skills; Possess excellent communication skills both written and oral; Knowledge of program management along with good working knowledge of warehouses and fuel systems. Experience in working with international development partners, international nongovernmental organizations (INGOs) and donors; UNHCR experience is an asset. Must be conversant in French and English (written and spoken).
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply sending CV/Expression of interest to: [email protected] latest 28 November 2022.