, Leadership ,
This is a Professional contract, Grade 10 (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract, Grade 10 (NRC) contracts.
Cameroon is affected by three parallel, complex humanitarian crises. Incursions by Armed Organized Groups (AOGs) in the Lack Chad Basin have resulted into 115,000 Nigerians seeking refuge in Cameroon and a further 322,000 Cameroonians as IDPs in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. Cameroon’s Eastern regions are still home to nearly 300,000 refugees from the Central African Republic, and, the third crisis is the on-going violence in the two English-speaking regions of North-west and South-west where nearly one million Cameroonians have been displaced due to this crisis.
NRC has been operational in Cameroon since 2017, and currently has five field offices; Maroua and Kousseri in the Far North; Buea in the South-west; Bamenda in the North-west and Batouri in the East. NRC maintains a coordination office in Yaounde.
1. Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to maintain the highest degree of representation at the field level and to ensure high quality and cost-effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
The following is a brief description of the role-
- Overall responsibility of managing all NRC activities in the Area office and sub-office
- Responsible for area specific master support budget (shared resource allocation)
- Accountable for maintaining financial overview, including maintaining up-to-date spending plans and conducting regular budget monitoring exercises, and ensure financial reporting is conducted (support & project)
- Responsible for access negotiation for both NRC staff and local partner staff to ensure timely aid delivery
- Spearhead the strategy design at the field level, implementation and monitoring of the same.
- Oversee assessments for new areas of operation, outline possible areas of intervention, and develop program strategy for implementation
- Support the development of concept notes, project proposals, and budget development for scale-up of NRC activities in the designated area office;
- In conjunction with Country Office, liaise with donors on new funding and operational areas of programming;
- Ensure compliance with internal and donor regulations, namely through spot-checks of the Reconciliation of Deliverables
- Liaise regularly with local authorities, donors and humanitarian actors in the area of operations, ensuring that NRC acceptance and respect of humanitarian principle ;
- Lead on engagement with local partners and ensure proper management of the partnerships according to the NRC procedures and tools
- Provide regular inputs into advocacy initiatives
- Ensure capacity building initiatives are in place and that staff receive the necessary training
- Ensure work and development plans are completed by all staff members in the area of operations and performance feedback sessions are conducted on a minimum of quarterly basis
- Ensure NRC’s data collection systems are in place and information is properly stored and analyzed, while respecting data protection.
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in French and professional knowledge in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of Central Africa (Cameroon will be an added value) is an asset.
- Experience with scaling up of humanitarian programs in strictly controlled context is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of protection mainstreaming and Accountability to Affected Populations
- Demonstrated experience in representation and advocacy
- Solid knowledge on finance management and budgeting and budget monitoring
- Behavioural competencies:Strategic thinking; Empowering and building trust; Managing performance and development; Managing resources to optimise results
Find full details of the job JD_Area Manager_Cameroon, Buea.docx
Publication closing 23rd September 2022
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 24 months contract with possibility of extension
- Grade 10 in NRC’s grade structure
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
**Apply by completing all the system required fields of your experience in your application**