Purpose of the Position
The Coordinator will support better performance and greater accountability by implementing evidence-based program/project management at the field level, in order to guide and improve performance. He will also provide the technical support to the design of methodologies and tools to ensure the availability of clear and accurate information at the program/project level. He will coordinate data management and quality by designing a MEAL system which adheres to the IMC’s Global MEAL Guidelines, the MEAL Minimum Standards for Quality, and the guiding MEAL policies and procedures. The MEAL Coordinator will provide technical support to the program and build capacity in the country Mission through strengthening learning and knowledge sharing across the IMC and with the wider humanitarian community. The role holder will also support in project development including preparation and management of the MEAL budget, staffing plan and project design.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mainstream the Global MEAL Guidelines across all related MEAL activities at the field level and ensure the guidance notes for monitoring, evaluation, and accountability are functional at the field level.
- Map and detail the navigation, selection, application, and adaption of existing guidelines, tools, and templates at the relevant stages of the project cycle.
- Develop guidance and standards methodologies for the collection and analysis of data to allow for comparison and aggregation across time and the different projects.
- Actively promote Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) standards within IMC and amongst its beneficiaries.
- Design and coordinate needs assessment and situation analysis through various approaches (e.g. direct data collection, secondary sources, problem tree analysis, SWOT analysis) and ensure that needs assessment and project design are linked.
- Support to program and MEAL team with developing the results framework, theory of change, logframe and MEAL plan including indicators for existing and new projects.
- Identify the budget/resources needed for MEAL activities of projects.
- In coordination with the Program Team and MEAL field Focal Points, establish a reliable participatory MEAL framework for the IMC Mission to ensure quality.
- Design full MEAL procedures and operating plans within the Mission and develop harmonized data collection tools involving the different stakeholders (project team, partners)
- Ensure that accountability to affected populations (AAP) data is collected routinely throughout the project cycle, enabling evidence-based programming and corrective action.
- Develop data gathering strategies and harmonize data collection, analysis and reporting flows for projects in country.
- Collaborate with the Mission’s information, communications and telecommunications (ICT) section to develop and maintain the MEAL technology system, including updating, troubleshooting, and promptly addressing all problems as they arise.
- Conduct regular site visits or when required to monitor service provision and ensure data quality.
- Develop strategies for assessing the quality of collected data for the indicators and manage tools and methods for assessing data quality for all indicators.
- Organize the planning for project data quality audits and monitor and coordinate routine data quality audits conducted in different sites, compile results at the level of a project and develop actions plans to implement corrective measures.
- Coordinate data gathering and data management of population-based surveys and surveillance activities.
- Determine the appropriate data collection tool based on the purpose, advantages and disadvantages of mobile data collection techniques.
- Design simple and complex questionnaire using XLS or form builder (Kobo form builder, ONA form builder, etc.)
- Support in installing and configuring mobile data collection tools (OKD collect, Kobo collect, ONA collect, etc.) on smart phones or tablets and manage data on mobile servers (Kobo form builder, ONA form builder, etc.)
- Increase capacity of other staff in developing XLS form and setting up mobile data collection.
- Develop TOR for internal and external baseline survey, mid-term evaluations, final evaluations and frame the different types of study questions such as barrier analysis, market analysis, Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Surveys (KAP).
- Make a comprehensive situation analysis to inform an evaluation.
- Identify the needed resources for evaluation, such as information, expertise, personnel, instruments, and budget.
- Manage the administrative and logistic process of evaluations involving external evaluators.
- Train and supervise data gathering of internal performance evaluation and design and synthesize the findings from participative evaluation techniques (actively involving affected communities in the evaluation exercises).
Code of Conduct
As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one’s own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps’ policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
Education, experience and skills
Education: Master degree in Statistics, epidemiology, public health or any other related studies, with experience or background in M&E and/or health information management.
- Minimum of 5 years of applied experience with a humanitarian organization and or working with refugees/IDPs in humanitarian settings
- Experience working with national or international NGO supporting the health system in Cameroon
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams and building staff capacity within complex programing.
- Experience in working in a multicultural and multiethnic environment
- Experience in emergency response in Cameroon is a plus.
- Knowledge of data pitfalls, issues, and strategies for assessing the quality of collected data.
- Understand the fundamental principles of evaluation (concepts, purposes, and types of evaluations, contribution versus attribution, and counterfactual).
- Knowledge of commonly used probability and purposive sampling techniques and different methods of qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Knowledge of descriptive univariate and bivariate data analysis using Excel Pivot tables.
- Knowledge of indicators and their measurement in the different sectors of relevance.
- Experience using software such as PowerBI, STATA, SPSS, NVivo, Atlas.ti, DHIS2.
- Experience with mobile data collection platform such as Ona, KoboToolBox.
- Understand key concepts and commitments regarding accountability to affected populations (AAP), including IASC, CAAP, CHS, and Sphere Humanitarian Charter.
- Strong training facilitator/presentation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication skills, Proficiency in both French and English, oral and written.
International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the website for reporting misconduct: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com*. Please do not submit your CV or application to this website, it will not be considered for review.*
How to apply
Application files including: Cover letter and CV, 3 References and copies of relevant supporting documents to the application should be forwarded at International Medical Corps address e-mail: [email protected]