The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with Country Program Offices in Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Liberia, Niger, Tanzania, and Uganda. AIRD registration in South Sudan was recently finalized. AIRD’s objective is to offer operational technical support, including but not limited to: supply chain, logistics and infrastructure in partnership with relief and development organizations that focus on disaster-affected, poverty-infested and development oriented areas. AIRD delivers for and through partners including but not limited to UN Agencies, international and national donor organizations and governments.
AIRD now seeks to recruit a qualified and motivated Country Program Director to be based in Juba, Sudan.
The Country Program Director will define and manage a timely, pertinent, effective, and efficient response to the humanitarian needs of the Country and population within the framework of the AIRD SOPs while ensuring the security of the team
1. General Duties
- Build and maintain a strong, innovative senior leadership team and ensure AIRD Policies and Code of Conduct are followed.
- Lead the design, implementation, and evolution of the Country Program Office strategic plan
- Promote AIRD’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and key Partnership Standards and Practices among the staff and partners and ensure these are the core foundation of AIRD strategies and work.
- Direct the mobilization, management, and accounting of all resources in the Country Program
- Oversee the management and development of the Country Program Human Resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce
- Provide leadership, strategic direction and support in the development and implementation of an effective Resource Development Strategy.
- Ensure people issues are front and centre, promoting an office that embraces diversity, gender balance and engagement with all Partnership staff.
- Implement AIRDs SOPs and partnership agreements signed with Donors
2. Specific duties
Strategy, Coordination and Representation
- Ensure proper registration and compliance with statuary regulations related to INGOs in the country
- Lead the development and execution of high quality country strategy for AIRD in the Country Program in light of political, economic and humanitarian context.
- Acting as key contact with head office, local partners, NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, government authorities and donors.
- Acting as a focal point, to issue policy recommendations in collaboration with field staff and headquarters.
- Representing AIRD to partners, NGOs, local authorities, government authorities and donors.
- Defining the programmes with the coordinated team and ensuring achievement of the program’s objectives.
- Ensuring programme is still appropriate, according to the situation, the context and the programme’s objectives.
- Ensuring the organization has adequate resources; responsible for the appropriate management of all resources in a transparent manner.
- Responsible for financial feasibility of the country programme: initially to obtain resources, at final stage to make sure programme is within budget; also responsible for all logistical aspects.
- Ensuring timely and accuracy of narrative and financial reporting to donors and to headquarters; also accountable to the donors and benefactors of ACF missions
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Ensure the management human resources in conformity with applicable laws and internal regulations.
- Security management.
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, and management of performance of country based staff and development of middle management staff; demonstrating healthy engagement, strong senior management teams, culture of innovation, and effective talent management.
- Ensure people issues are front and centre, promoting an office that embraces diversity, gender balance and engagement with all Partnership staff
- Strategic Thinking
- Results focus
- Change Leadership
- Team Leadership
- People Management
Key Result Areas
- Planning and implementation of country strategy
- Timeliness, regularity and accuracy in reporting
- Sourcing and management of organizational resources
- Team development
- Employee/Talent development
- Director of Operations
- Director of Communications and Development
- Director of Finance and Adminstration
- Finance and Administration Manager
- Operations Manager
- Partners, Government authorities
Qualifications, experience and skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Project Planning and Management, International Relations or in a technical field (depending on the specific country program activities).
- 7 – 8 years’ experience in senior management position in international development Experience in responding to natural disasters and man-made emergencies
- Proven track record of applying new technologies to programming or make use of existing technologies to innovatively inﬂuence program design and delivery;
- Significant senior leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high quality program influencing and humanitarian strategy with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations;
- A high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and Individual development in line AIRD’s values and policies.
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues
- Good understanding of the South Sudan Context is an added advantage
- Conversant in French and English (written and spoken).
How to apply
Applications clearly indicating ‘Country Program Director’’ in the subject line may be sent to email@example.com latest 15th July 2022