Performance period: 30 work days.
Type of contract: Consultancy contract.
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon.
Application deadline: August 25, 2022
1. BACKGROUND :
Jhpiego is a non-profit NGO founded in 1973 and affiliated with Johns Hopkins University. It currently works in over 40 countries supporting 137 projects, has experience working in 154 countries with over 3900 employees worldwide. It is dedicated to improving the health of women, men and families around the world.
Jhpiego saves lives by:
- Building human resource capacity at the local level;
- Working in partnership with governments, non-governmental organizations, universities, professional associations and communities;
- Strengthening health care systems;
- Developing innovations based on scientific evidence;
- Sharing best practices.
Jhpiego’ s long history in Africa, dating back four decades, reflects the organization’s consistent and unwavering commitment to addressing health issues in the region. Jhpiego has worked in Cameroon since the 1980s to introduce interventions to prevent infectious diseases such as HIV and malaria, with additional work in maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH), family planning (FP), reproductive health (RH), and infection prevention and control (IPC), with funding from USAID, the ExxonMobil Foundation, UNICEF, UNFPA, and the Noble Energy Foundation. Jhpiego has an extensive network of stakeholders in Cameroon, having worked alongside the Ministry of Health at the national, district, and facility levels to build strong partnerships in the country.
In the framework of developing a strategic plan for the office in Cameroon, Jhpiego plans to position itself more as a partner that the Ministry of Public Health can rely on to save lives thanks to its experience gained in the various countries where it has conducted projects. To support the Ministry of Public Health in the implementation of different interventions aimed at saving lives in Cameroon, Jhpiego wants through this consultancy to develop a national financial development strategy. Beyond that, to strengthen the impact of its contribution, Jhpiego must forge partnerships with a variety of actors including government, bilateral and multilateral agencies, development banks, the private sector, civil society and grassroots communities. To do this, Jhpiego is looking to recruit a consultant to support the development of a partnership and resource mobilization strategy framework in Cameroon.
- OBJECTIVES :
- General: To support the development of a partnership and resource mobilization strategy in Cameroon aimed at outlining partnership opportunities to improve Jhpiego’ s financial and sustainable development goals in the context of health in Cameroon.
- Specifically, the consultant will:
- Analyze the context of all health-related development financing in Cameroon;
- Conduct a mapping of the technical and other development financing actors.
- Identify strategic partnership opportunities for Jhpiego;
- Outline the guidelines and areas of focus for resource mobilization;
- Identifier les opportunités de partenariats stratégiques pour Jhpiego ;
- Identify priority areas for investment to forge and consolidate sustainable partnerships;
- Translate the strategy into an operational action plan that includes a prioritization of short, medium- and long-term actions.
- EXPECTED RESULTS :
- A mapping of partners and interventions as well as key technical and development financing actors is developed with a particular focus on partners working in the area of malaria prevention;
- Strategic partnership opportunities for Jhpiego are identified;
- The guidelines and areas of focus for resource mobilization are clearly articulated;
- Priority areas for investment to forge and consolidate sustainable partnerships are identified;
- An operational partnership and resource mobilization action plan is developed.
- Task 1 – Analyze the financial landscape and gather information on Cameroon’s malaria indicators, Ministry of Health’s malaria strategy, and gaps in malaria service delivery, health information systems, and malaria treatment provider capacity at the national, regional, and district levels. This will also include an analysis of Jhpiego’ s profile with the government and USAID stakeholders in relation to the current USAID proposal to inform our positioning, partnership, staffing, and the other themes include in this proposal. In addition, the analysis will also cover potential partners working to tackle malaria, both international and local, including their strengths, weaknesses and reputation in Cameroon.
- Task 2 – Analyze the funding landscape and gather information on donors and partners (traditional and non-traditional) in health, donor typology (bilateral, multilateral, NGOs, private foundations, others), areas of intervention (Family Planning, Maternal and Neonatal Health, Malaria, Cervical Cancer, HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis, Infection Prevention, Quality and Performance Improvement, Training, etc.), and sectors of intervention (Health, Digital). This will involve identifying thematic areas and issues where there is strong potential for new partnerships among actors in Cameroon, and with regional and global institutions and donors, existing mechanisms for engaging stakeholders and sectors in the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in Cameroon.
- Task 3: Develop a summary mapping presenting the profile of the main potential partners and/or donors: Name of the organization, area of intervention, sector of activities at the national, regional and district levels, amounts allocated, expected funding as well as innovative funding mechanisms, etc.
- Task 4: Analyze strategic areas and effects of the cooperation framework to highlight the priority areas of investment to forge and consolidate sustainable strategic partnerships for Jhpiego in Cameroon. Propose, after the analysis, a partner/type of funding linkages to help match a funding need (focus) to areas of interest (area of focus/interest) for a partner.
- Task 5: Develop a partnership and resource mobilization strategy Framework
- Task 6: Propose an operational action plan for effective and sustainable engagement with partners that includes prioritization of short-, medium-, and long-term actions.
The methodological approach will be participatory and inclusive. The mission will involve a variety of stakeholders, including Jhpiego staff in Cameroon, including members of the country team, UN staff and technical and financial partners, international NGOs and associations, the private sector, academia and civil society.
- Document review: The consultant will begin by reviewing all documentation related to the operation of Jhpiego (Jhpiego’s vision, area of expertise, snapshot, risk plan, etc.), working closely with the country program manager and the Jhpiego team.
- Meeting and Interviewing Stakeholders: Remote or face-to-face interviews will be conducted with members of the country team including government and donor representatives, agency heads, and staff. Remote or face-to-face interviews will also be conducted with external organizations, technical and financial partners, international and national NGOs and associations, the private sector, universities, and civil society.
- Document development: Based on the data collected, the consultant will develop a draft partnership and resource mobilization strategy and action plan that will be submitted to the country team for comments. Comments will be shared with the consultant who will submit a final version of the document.
A partnership and resource mobilization strategy document detailing the following:
- An overview of the current status of partnership and resource mobilization in health with a particular focus on malaria and also HIV, maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH), family planning (FP), reproductive health (RH) and infection prevention and control (IPC);
- Priority areas for investment to forge and consolidate sustainable strategic partnerships in the context of the health-related sustainable development objectives;
An action plan to mobilize and optimize resources through partnerships that includes prioritization of short-, medium- and long-term actions.
- QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Education: Master’s degree or higher in economics, international relations, international development or other related field;
- At least eight (8) years of experience in negotiation consulting, development strategy formulation, partnership and resource mobilization, and project and/or program formulation;
- Familiarity with resource mobilization and partnership development tools, especially with the private sector;
- Proven track record of writing high quality projects/proposals that have been funded;
- Have a good knowledge of the Cameroonian development context;
- Have a good knowledge of partnership development especially with the private sector in an international context;
- Have a very good knowledge of the sustainable development objectives;
- Experience working with the United Nations System;
- Possess excellent facilitation skills ;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Excellent communication skills.
Working language: Perfect command of French (spoken and written). A good knowledge of English will be an asset.
- SUPERVISION & ADMINISTRATIVE ARRANGEMENTS
The consultant will work under the supervision of the Country Program Manager and in close collaboration with the Jhpiego team.
Contract duration & payment terms:
The mission is planned for a total duration of 30 work days over the period of September to October 2022.
Payment will be made in two phases, 40% after submission and validation of the scoping note at the beginning and 60% at the end of the mission after a mission report validated by the Jhpiego team.’
Location & Travel:
The work will be done locally in Cameroon.
How to apply
Interested Consultants are invited to submit an application including the following:
- A Technical Proposal including :
- A summary of the understanding of the Terms of Reference and the reasons for the application
- A more or less detailed presentation of the methodological approach (including a timeline) and the organization of the mission;
- A detailed CV with an emphasis on the experience gained by the Consultant in similar actions and cite at least 3 professional references including the title, full address, email and phone contact of the person;
- The certificates of the obtained diplomas;
- The certificates of completion issued for previous missions.
- Financial Proposal fixed amount.
The financial proposal may be in CFA francs. Consultants should indicate in detail in their financial proposals the fees, the number of working days and the subsistence costs. The Consultant shall submit his financial proposal in accordance with the Cost Table. He/she shall propose a fixed amount and present in the Cost Table the breakdown of this fixed amount.
To be sent only by email to
[email protected] no later than August 25, 2022.
Please indicate the job title in the subject line: National NPD Consultant
- The candidate selected for this position will undergo a pre-employment background investigation;
- Successful candidates will be required to complete their application with all the documents attesting to their statements contained in the CV;
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply;
- For more information about Jhpiego, visit our website at: www.jhpiego.org.