SOCIO-ECONOMIC REINTEGRATION OF RETURNING MIGRANTS: MAPPING ACTORS & PROGRAMS IN THE FIELDS OF SKILLS DEVELOPMENT AND JOB CREATION
Type of Contract: Fixed
Location: West Africa (Home based, with a field mission in Bamako, Mali)
Duration of Contract: To be discussed, with a minimum of 3 months
Altai Consulting is a strategy, research and monitoring & evaluation firm focusing on the developing world. Altai began operating in 2003 and has since successfully completed over 350 consulting and research assignments in Africa, the Middle East and in Central Asia. Our clients include major international private sector actors as well as donors and their implementing partners, international organizations (the European Union, United Nations, World Bank, etc.), and INGOs looking for both technical expertise and high-level strategy advice. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.altaiconsulting.com
JOB DESCRIPTION / REQUIREMENTS
As part of its Public Policy Practice in the field of international migration, Altai Consulting seeks experienced and knowledgeable consultants for a mapping of actors and programs related to skills development and job creation across several countries in West Africa (incl. Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ghana, The Gambia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, etc.) The objective of this study is to identify opportunities of socio-economic reintegration for returning migrants in their countries of origin. The position requires a good knowledge of specific countries, preferably acquired through field experience.
The Consultant will work within a team under the supervision of a Project Director and a Regional Manager. The consultant will liaise with relevant partners, assist in the development of data collection tools, collect and clean data obtained from field partners, analyze the obtained data, produce a country report and provide inputs for a regional report.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Conduct preliminary desk research
- Participate in the elaboration of data collection tools
- Conduct qualitative field research in selected countries, including a large number of semi-structured interviews with a variety of pre-identified actors
- Work with local research teams
- Analyze collected data and produce a country report
- Provide inputs to a regional report
- Potentially deliver a presentation to the client
- Masters’ degree or higher in Economics, International Relations and/or Development, Public Policy, Migration, Evaluation, or Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in international development organizations, consulting, think tanks, INGOs, on monitoring, evaluation and research (required);
- Experience in the field of migration, skills development and job creation is a plus;
- Field experience in West Africa and specific knowledge of some of the abovementioned countries;
Analytical skills requirements:
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with particular attention to detail and accuracy (required);
- Knowledge of Excel (required);
- Excellent written and spoken English and French (required);
- Experience writing policy papers, assessments, and/or strategic recommendations that require a solid analytical capacity.
How to apply
To apply, send an email to [email protected] by August 31, 2022 with the following attachments:
- Writing sample