Communications and Marketing Manager–(National Position)
The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with Country Program Offices in Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Liberia, Niger, Tanzania, and Uganda. AIRD registration in South Sudan was recently finalized. AIRD’s objective is to offer operational technical support, including but not limited to: supply chain, logistics and infrastructure in partnership with relief and development organizations that focus on disaster-affected, poverty-infested and development oriented areas. AIRD delivers for and through partners including but not limited to UN Agencies, international and national donor organizations and governments.
AIRD now seeks to recruit a qualified and motivated Communications and Marketing Manager to be based at the Head Office in Kampala, Uganda.
The Communications and Marketing Manager is responsible for developing and administering all communication related activities for AIRD. S/he will have overall responsibility and be central to the communication functions within the AIRD. The position holder will play a key role in the development and implementation of communication strategy to embed compliance and best practice and to promote AIRD to external and internal audiences.
1. General Duties
- Serve as the organization’s representative on communication and marketing issues and procedures.
- Set and implement clear strategies and plans for communication and marketing across the organization
- Develop and coordinate procedures regarding communication and marketing processes.
- Work closely with the Director of Communications and Development, as well as internal subject matter colleagues, to edit drafts, write and proofread content that inspires, educates and informs internal and external audiences and stakeholders in support of AIRD’s work.
- Work with country programs to ensure that communication initiatives are followed through and takes place to deliver all features and benefits
- Develop and post social media, web and AIRD internal content with information, and contribute to AIRD strategies and execution
- Be the driver of internal communication strategy to ensure communication protocols are executed from start to finish
- Market communication services internally to increase awareness of the communication strategies and how it can help drive mission-critical projects
- Manage the intake and execution of projects across teams.
Core Roles and Responsibilities:
General Marketing & Communications
- Develop marketing and communications strategy and plans to promote AIRD resources, research, publications, public awareness and advocacy efforts and partnerships
- Execute marketing and communication strategy
- Write and edit content for AIRD website and email marketing efforts, including monthly newsletter,
- Provide marketing and communications support, including for branding and online engagement
- Maintain communications editorial calendar of events for AIRD staff use for web, email, and social media
- Lead, contribute and coordinate AIRD corporate/partner engagement content development in collaboration with key AIRD HO and CPs staff (e.g., Annual Fund raising, Annual Impact Report, etc.)
- Delivering trainings on communication and marketing best practices
- Work with management team to design and execute internal communication strategies around specific org-wide changes (policy, strategy, organizational structure, and otherwise
- Support media and other relevant external partner relationships as needed
Support to country office
- Support country teams to develop communication plans for their country operations
- Support country teams to develop communication plans for new projects (USAID)
Social Media Management
- Manage all aspects of AIRD’s social media presence (AIRD website, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
- Drive strategy to increase traffic and daily engagement on AIRD social media accounts
- Lead content creation for AIRD social media, including written blog content, tweets, posts & videos
Data & Analytics
- Monitor, report and present on online engagement analytics (web, email, social media, earned media)
- Leverage key engagement metrics across platforms to optimize content, messaging, and distributions
- Analyze and provide regular report regarding positive impact to AIRD because of social media engagement
Excellent and tactful communication skills: Both oral and written communication and language skills are very important. The ability to highlight the positives and play down the negatives without being untruthful is key.
Ability to quickly and accurately understand. A good demonstration of the ability to grasp the nuances of the corporate activities, culture, objectives and people accurately and thoroughly.
Effective leadership, execution and crisis communication skills: Have ability to lead and yet collaborate with different levels of people. Able to solicit ideas from different team players to be of benefit to the cause. An ability to remain calm and think through a crisis to salvage the corporate image is desired
Innovative , dynamic and flexible with a creative mind to come with innovative ideas, strategies and thinking out-of-the-box as long as all this is aligned with the communication objectives and business environment.
Collaborative: The position holder should be experienced in supporting leaders on strategy and rolling out campaigns in diverse cultural contexts
Project Management: S/he should be detail oriented and thrive while managing projects with multiple stakeholders and moving pieces
Emotional Intelligence: S/he possess strong emotional intelligence and the ability to build trusted relationships with staff of all backgrounds
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications and/or Marketing, or related field required
- At least 5 years of experience in strategic communications and/or marketing roles, developing and executing strategic communications and/or marketing plans, utilizing interpersonal skills to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders, managing agencies, and creating content that educates and inspires readers
- Minimum of three (3) years of communications and/or marketing experience, ideally representing a non-profit organization
- Ability to train
- Experience working with program management stakeholders and strategic communications programs strongly preferred
- Ability to communicate in French and English – orally and written
To be successful you will also:
- Have passion for AIRD’s mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization;
- Be proactive, set to achieve results and creates positive change;
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness;
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration.
- Be prepared to travel occasionally to engage with field staff.
How to apply
Applications clearly indicating ‘Communications and Marketing Manager’’ in the subject line may be sent to [email protected] latest 23rd September 2022