Jhpiego seeks a Chief of Party (COP) to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for an upcoming USAID-funded malaria project in Cameroon. This project will support the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) and the Ministry of Health (MOH) to implement activities to reduce malaria morbidity and maternal and child mortality. The project will operate over a 5-year period.
The Chief of Party will have the overall responsibility for leadership and management and reporting of project activities. S/he will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project quality and integrity. S/he will serve as the project’s main point of contact with USAID on routine and strategic matters. S/he will also ensure effective organizational management and communication with host country governments and key stakeholders at all levels, including international entities.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Cameroon nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained goals, objectives and targets
- Work closely with Jhpiego staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure the project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of countries, its people and donors
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the award
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with USAID, NMCP, MOH, implementing partners, community partners, and other key stakeholders in Cameroon to optimize prospects for success, maximize resources and synergy and avoid duplication of effort
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, other key stakeholders, and through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions
- Lead the annual work planning process in close collaboration with USAID, MOH, and the project team
- Oversee the quality, preparation, and timely submission of project reports to donor
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Provide guidance, in collaboration with staff, to subcontractors and sub-grantees
- Write and/or review project materials and publications
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Provide regular updates to Jhpiego core technical teams on technical implementation of activities
- Ensure compliance with USAID operational policies and regulations
- Advanced degree in public health, health economics, business or a related field; MD preferred
- 10+ years’ experience successfully managing large, multi-year health sector development projects that have implemented activities in malaria control and elimination, case management of malaria, and/or health systems strengthening.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project systems and overseeing project start-up and close-out
- Previous experience working in sub-Saharan Africa, with intimate understanding of relevant local health systems and their stakeholders, gaps and opportunities
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) advisors, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs and CSOs
- In-depth knowledge of USAID projects, regulations, compliance and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal, and presentation skills in English and French.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines, and intense pressure to perform
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally