Project Manager AVENIR
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
PROFIL DE POSTE
Title: Project Manager – AVENIR
Autonomisation des plus Vulnérables par l’Education Inclusive et la Réinsertion dans les arrondissements de Yaoundé II et VII – Phase 2
Functional Area: Country Office
Reports to: Program Implementation Manager (PIM)
Effective Date: July 2022
Type of contract: Fixed Term employment
Contract duration: 11 months with possibility of extension
Travel may be required: Yes
Deadline of submission:
PURPUSE OF THE ROLE:
Plan International is strongly committed to Cameroon where the organisation has been running emergency and development programmes since 1996 for the benefit of disadvantaged, vulnerable and/or disaster-affected populations and communities, with a particular focus on the promotion of girls’ rights and child protection. Our fields of intervention include education, protection, WaSH (water, hygiene and sanitation), reproductive health and economic empowerment.
Since February 2017, Plan International Cameroon has been implementing the project “Autonomisation des plus Vulnérables par l’Éducation Inclusive et la Réinsertion dans les Arrondissements de Yaoundé 2 et Yaoundé 7 (AVENIR)”. This project, which is co-financed by Plan International France and the French Development Agency, aims to improve the supply and quality of education with a view to effective economic integration of the targets. It has two components (inclusive education and economic inclusion) and its implementation is the subject of collaboration with civil society organisations, sectoral administrations, the private sector, community organisations and decentralised territorial authorities…
The Project Manager is responsible for providing an overall vision, leadership and guidance of the project, internally with the project staff and externally with donors, governments agencies and other stakeholders. She/he will be responsible for overall project planning, implementation and management which includes amongst others: effectively steering project staff and team; efficient management of financial resources; review and approval of project budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations; supervision of monitoring & evaluation; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required. S/he will ensure full compliance with the donor contract and regulations and will oversee the project reporting process to the donor. S/he will also steer management and performance of local partners and technical back stoppers.
Under the supervision of the PIM, the Project Manager will have to perform the below main activities:
• Guide the project implementation, including developing work plans, budgets and competency table with responsibilities and mandates;
• Build, strengthen and manage partnerships with sectoral administrations, local implementation partners, councils, private sector partners, institutions and other stakeholders…;
• Contribute to manage donor relations and the donor contract;
• Overall management of all human, physical and financial resources related to the project;
• Monitor performance of the project management team to ensure all milestones set in the annual work plan are met, develop mitigation plans to reduce risks and take corrective actions to remedy any deviation from the work plans;
• Account and report to Plan International and the donor on project performance;
• Guide knowledge development, documentation, communication and branding in close collaboration with the donor;
• Identify and follow-up funding and partnership possibilities in collaboration with country management and business development team.
• Execute overall project management;
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree (Master) in social sciences, economics, socioeconomics, education sciences or all other relevant field linked to education sector or economic inclusion promotion
• Minimum of 04 years of relevant work experience in managing and implementing humanitarian and/or development projects in the field of livelihoods, education, youth empowerment, urban development, safety nets, participatory development and/or economic recovery;
• Experience in the management of a multisector project will be an asset
• Previous relevant experience with an International NGO, especially with Plan International or with a national NGO will be an asset.
• Knowledges in gender and participatory approach will be an asset
• Previous experience with projects funded by the French Development Agency will be an asset
Skills and Knowledge:
• Strong strategic decision-making and communication skills including reporting and presentation;
• Demonstrated ability of coaching, capacity building, teamwork, management, coordination and planning.
• Fluency in French and and working knowledge of English,
• Knowledge of usual office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and regular communication channels (Internet, email, Skype).
• Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, reporting and presentations;
• Proven ability to work effectively with multiple counterparts in the private, public, and NGO sectors;
• Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to work under pressure well;
• Committed to Plan International’s strategy and values;
• Promotes innovation and learning;
• Communicates clearly and effectively;
• Strong team building and motivational skills;
• Demonstrates clear respect to all and especially children and women without discrimination;
• Involves others in setting and achieving goals;
• Demonstrates honesty and transparency in holding self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and Plan’s standards of behavior;
• Promotes a strong learning culture in the organization.
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT AND DEMANDS:
The position holder will work in a typical office environment with some of his/her colleagues in the same office environment and others in the field.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN:
High level contact- the job responsibilities of this position does will require the post holder to frequently have any one-to-one contact with children.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
Closing Date: 28-07-22
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.