Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Job Description: graphic design professional intern
Position Graphic Design Professional Intern Grade
Department & Location Communications Date November 2022
Reports to: Change Communication and Engagement Manager
Purpose: How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission? With the acceleration of the business transformation programme within the organization, requests in comms support are gradually increasing with numerous tasks to embark on:
• Designing of various communication products (Newsletters, weekly points, etc).
• Designing of infographics
• Designing of videos
• Designing of Powerpoint presentations
• Engagement sessions management, etc.
Thus the need to get the support of a professional Graphic Design intern that will assist in producing high quality material, graphics and videos in various communication tasks to inform all our clients through diverse channels, while gaining NGOs experience.
Dimensions of Role:
• Provide support in the development of marketing tools and brand management initiatives
• Facilitate the creation of a strong brand for Programme Y.O.D.A
• Support Change Champions Communications where applicable
• 6 months: November 21 – April 22.
Under the supervision of the Communication and Engagement Manager, the Graphic Design intern will provide support to the Change Team in Global Hub :
• Develop and design core graphics and communication materials to promote the impact and benefits of Programme Y.O.D.A
• Provide technical expertise in graphic designing requests
• Produce and/or edit videos
• Assist in the recording of meetings and produce short videos for various activities when applicable
• Create/Update a Transformation/Change image bank and provide them for use when needed
• Produce material for internal social media and blog posts (infographics, designed pictures, etc)
• Edit PowerPoint presentations for strategic meetings/events
• Provide technical/logistical assistance during meetings and events
• Carryout other creative tasks in the graphic design of visual communication in accordance with the global brand requirements of Plan International
• Provide support in communication where possible and applicable
• Carry out any other task assigned by supervisor as need arises
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications and Knowledge
• University degree or National Diploma in Audio-Visual Productions, or related fields (including experiences acquired through academic / professional internships).
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, and other design and video editing software.
• Familiarity with humanitarian and development issues;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate complicated and technical issues in a concise and clear visual way;
• Ability to work independently and complete tasks within time frame
• Should be a good team player
• Organized, versatile, autonomous and rigorous
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyse and prioritise information from many different sources;
• Ability to summarize information into few digestible lines for any audience;
• Good knowledge of internal and external communication;
• Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines, with competing priorities and minimal supervision;
• Flexibility and adaptability;
• Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in multi-national, multi-cultural teams;
• Fluency in English and French will be of added value.
Outputs and Deliverables
• It is expected that the Graphic Design intern delivers assignments in the respect of code of conduct, deadlines, and minimum quality standards as agreed with the Comms and Engagement Manager.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
Communications and Working Relationships
Works with Change Team – High
Attend technical meetings with clients in need of support – Medium
Liaise with program Y.O.D.A force – Low
Collaborate and consult with Y.O.D.A force – Medium
Physical Environment and Demands
• Work under pressure and deliver quality results
• Keep to strict deadlines
• Support conflicting demands
Level of Contact with Children and young people
• Very low contact with children
• Occasional interaction with young people
Closing Date: 13 novembre 2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.