Are you 15–30 years old and have an idea to solve marine debris at the local, national, or regional level? Global Environmental Education Partnership (GEEP) wants to hear from you! GEEP is looking for solutions that you could implement on your own or in partnership with other individuals or organizations.
How can we clean up our oceans? The Youth Innovation Challenge (YIC) gives young people (ages 15–30) around the world a chance to come up with innovative solutions to a pressing environmental issue affecting the marine ecosystems, using environmental education as a key strategy. Global Environmental Education Partnership (Geep) is looking for solutions that are innovative, feasible, and informed by research.
The Youth Innovation Challenge (YIC) is a program of the Global Environmental Education Partnership (GEEP), a vibrant and inclusive learning network designed to champion environmental education (EE) around the world.
Key Priority Areas
Your solution must align with one or more of the following key priority areas, and should also include an environmental education (EE) component
- Monitoring & Investigation of the amount, type, and distribution of marine debris.
- Cleanup of both floating debris and bottom litter in the ocean.
- Recycle & Reuse marine debris into useful products.
- Engaging Communities to address marine debris issues.
All eligible proposals will be evaluated by a panel of experts working at the intersection of environmental education, community engagement, and marine conservation. A total of 15 YIC finalists will be selected and will receive the following benefits:
- An official YIC finalist certificate
- Recognition through GEEP, NAAEE, and other global partners’ websites and social media pages
- They will select 3 winners from the 15 YIC finalists.
- Each winner will receive a $1,000 prize, in addition to all the benefits.
- The Youth Innovation Challenge is intended for young leaders and innovators aged 15–30.
- Solutions must be submitted online through Submittable (only one proposal per person or team will be accepted).
- Proposals will only be accepted in English at this time. Your video and written responses will not be scored based on your English ability, but rather the strength of your solution and your ability to communicate your ideas and vision to the judges.
For more information, visit https://thegeep.org/youth-innovation-challenge