The Online News Association (ONA) is inviting applications for its Women’s Leadership Accelerator, a yearlong intensive program that supercharges the leadership and management skills of women who are pushing digital innovation.
Each year ONA welcomes a cohort of women representing a range of backgrounds, expertise and newsrooms around the globe.
The accelerator is designed for practitioners working in digital journalism, including freelancers, entrepreneurs and independent journalists, who are pushing innovation and making positive change in the industry. ONA is looking for women who not only have an understanding of the digital journalism landscape but who are helping to advance it in innovative ways. Applicants should have experience managing people or projects and be committed to further developing their skills. Innovation means different things in different markets, and ONA considers that when reviewing applications.
The Women’s Leadership Accelerator offers an intensive program of mentoring, discussion and learning from some of the top minds in digital media. Participants work closely with mentors on challenges unique to their careers and also receive support and coaching from ONA throughout the year.
The 2023 accelerator provides:
- Virtual hello meeting in March, individual virtual welcome coaching between March and April, and an in-person cohort workshop in April/May; focused on hands-on personal and professional work; candid discussions about leadership, work-life balance and problem-solving in the newsroom; deep dives on developing leadership and management skills; and one-on-one coaching from industry leaders.
- A year of check-ins and practical, targeted guidance and personal coaching on individual challenges.
- Registration to the 2023 Online News Association Conference (#ONA23).
- Closing workshop for the cohort in August, coinciding with ONA23.
- The opportunity to be a part of a cohort of peers to serve as a strong career-long support system.
- The program is open to English-speaking participants from around the world.
- While the Women’s Leadership Accelerator is aimed at advancing women in digital journalism, ONA understands that gender identity and gender expression are personal and wide-ranging. If you are a non-binary person and are interested in applying, the Association welcomes your application.
- Selected applicants are responsible for ensuring all necessary travel documents are valid and effective for travel to the in-person elements of the program in April or May 2023 and again in August 2023.
- Travel requirements may change as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves.
- Any information ONA provides around travel is shared merely as a courtesy. Please check with the appropriate consulate/embassy and stay up to date on the rules for travel and entry for your country and the United States.
For more information, visit https://journalists.org/programs/womens-leadership-accelerator/