The Online News Association is inviting applicants for its 2022 MJ Bear Fellowship to provide support and guidance to early-career journalists on a digital journalism project, as well as their own professional development.
Themes for projects may include audience and social engagement, product development, and digital or business strategy.
The Fellowship identifies and supports digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of digital news.
The fellowship provides:
- Free registration to ONA’s annual conference. Fellows get free registration at digital journalism’s largest event and opportunities to network and share their work. The fellowship covers registration for ONA22, Sept 21-24.
- Three tailored coaching sessions. Based on the projects that fellows are working on and the skills they are looking to build, ONA works with industry leaders to design custom coaching sessions for the group. Past sessions have covered topics such as pitching projects, career advancement in a changing world, audience engagement, marketing and entrepreneurship.
- ONA membership, with three year’s dues paid in full.
- Additional opportunities to showcase work and expertise. During their fellowship year, fellows share insights from their projects and career journeys to ONA’s community. These insights become evergreen resources for the digital journalism community.
- The fellowship is open to digital journalists from around the world. In 2022, they will select six fellows.
- The fellowship is open to working journalists under 30 who are leading a digital journalism project.
- Applicants in 2022 must be born between June 26, 1992 and June 25, 1999.
- Applicants can be working either for a company or organization or be self-employed.
- ONA encourages freelancers and journalists from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Be fluent in English. Be involved in a digital journalism project.
- Full-time students are not eligible for this fellowship.
For more information, visit https://journalists.org/programs/mj-bear-fellowship/