If your company or organization develops democracy-affirming technologies and is based in North America, Central America or the Caribbean, you are invited to apply to compete in the Silicon Valley Tech4Democracy Venture Day at Stanford University.
As part of Tech4Democracy, IE University is organizing a Global Entrepreneurship Challenge to identify entrepreneurs developing innovative digital technologies that contribute to the advancement of democracy around the globe. The Challenge is composed of five Venture Day competitions in five continents: Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe, North America, and South America.
Entrepreneurs will be evaluated based on their contribution to democratic values, technological innovation, viability/scalability and interest for potential investors, and the experience, knowledge, skills, and diversity of their teams.
Venture Day competitors will have the opportunity to compete for a monetary prize in a final global event and also obtain accelerated access to Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub membership, which includes up to $150k in cloud credits for qualified startups, free productivity software and GitHub Enterprise access, and guidance from business and technical experts.
Tech4Democracy is organized by the IE Center for the Governance of Change, coordinator of the initiative, and the IE Center for Entrepreneurship.
Areas of Innovation
They seek startups/scaleups that develop usable democracy-affirming technologies such as the following:
- Data for Policymaking: Technologies that allow for better data collection, processing, and visualization, in order to inform policy-making and decision-making processes in a way that is respectful of privacy and individual rights.
- Responsible Ai and Machine Learning: Automated decision-making systems that provide equal opportunity, do not discriminate, and are fair, explainable, auditable, ethical, and accurate.
- Tools To Fight Disinformation: Technologies that support fact-checking efforts, identify bot activity or work on social data to promote accurate information on key matters, including electoral processes.
- Digital Identity And Trust: Transparency technologies and identity recognition or protection technologies that ensure inclusive access to digital public services and protection of sensible data.
- Transparent And Inclusive Government Data: Technologies that promote accountability and inclusive services and foster economic growth through the provision of data, services, and resources that startups, scaleups, and SMEs can leverage to generate business.
Benefits for Startups
- Mentoring: Have the opportunity to profit from an incubation/acceleration process and coaching/mentoring plan provided by IE University and Tech4Democracy Strategic Supporters.
- Competition: Compete for a monetary prize in a final global competition planned in Washington, D.C. in December 2022. The winner will be recognized by the U.S. Department of State.
- Partnership Opportunities: Have first-hand access to backing and partnership opportunities with IE University and Tech4Democracy Strategic Supporters, as well as democratic governments, companies, investors, civil society organizations, and other stakeholders involved in the initiative.
- Networking: Join a global, diverse, and long-term community of like-minded allies, which will be nurtured with news and potential opportunities within IE University’s projects and network and those of the initiative’s Strategic Supporters and partners.
- Microsoft For Startups Founders Hub Access: Venture Day competitors can win accelerated access to Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub membership, which includes up to $150k in cloud credits for qualified startups, free productivity software and GitHub Enterprise access, and guidance from business and technical experts.
- The Challenge is composed of five Venture Day competitions in five continents: Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe, North America, and South America.
For more information, visit https://www.ie.edu/tech4democracy