The International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) offers fellowships through the Freezailah Fellowship Fund to promote human resource development and to strengthen professional expertise in member countries in tropical forestry and related disciplines.
The goal is to promote the sustainable management of tropical forests, the efficient use and processing of tropical timber, and better economic information about the international trade in tropical timber.
To develop human resources and enhance professional expertise in member countries in tropical forestry, tropical timber industries and related disciplines, with a view to promoting sustainable management of tropical forests, efficient utilization and processing of tropical timber, and better economic information on the international trade in tropical timber.
Based on the expected outcomes and cross-cutting actions identified in the ITTO Strategic Action Plan 2022 -2026, eligible activities will aim at developing human resources and professional expertise in one or more of the following areas (in no priority order):
- Promote good governance and enabling policy frameworks for strengthening SFM and related trade, and enhancing SFM financing and investment;
- Increase the contribution of tropical forests to national and local economies, including through international trade;
- Enhance the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity in tropical timber producing forests;
- Reduce tropical deforestation and forest degradation and enhance the provision of environmental services;
- Improve the quality and availability of information on tropical forests, forest product markets and trade; and
- Build and develop human resource capacity to implement SFM and increase trade in forest goods and services from sustainably managed forests.
The maximum amount for a fellowship award is US$10,000. ITTO Fellowship Award provides tuition/training/conference fees, transportation fees, daily subsistence allowance, book allowance and other allowances. For post-graduate studies, only a partial tuition fee or a small research grant can be provided. Approved Fellowship Awards are non-transferable to other programmes or institutions.
- Participation in international/regional conferences, short term training courses, training internships at industries, research and educational institutions, study tours, and lecture/demonstration tours;
- Technical document preparation, publication and dissemination, such as manuals and monographs;
- Small grants for post graduate studies
- Only nationals of ITTO Member countries are eligible to apply.
- Awards are to be made to individuals not to institutions.
- Previous ITTO Fellowship awardees are not eligible to apply for an ITTO Fellowship, within two years of receiving an award and submitting to the Secretariat a final report on the activity for which the award was made.
For more information, visit https://www.itto.int/fellowship/