The International Organization for Migration (IOM) and IBER-RUTAS – Program that aims to contribute to the promotion of cultural diversity in Ibero-America for the protection of migrants’ rights from an intercultural perspective – invite professional and amateurs photographers to participate in the iDiaspora Photo Contest.
Through this activity, the IOM and IBER-RUTAS seek to highlight the socio-cultural contributions of diasporas and migrant communities around the world and recognize their talent.
The principal theme of the contest is “Diaspora”.
The IOM defines Diaspora as “Migrants or descendants of migrants whose identity and sense of belonging, either real or symbolic, have been shaped by their migration experience and background. They maintain links with their homelands, and to each other, based on a shared sense of history, identity, or mutual experiences in the destination country”.
- Amateur Category:
- First Place: $1,500.00 USD (One Thousand Five Hundred United States dollars).
- Second Place: $ 700.00 USD (Seven Hundred United States dollars).
- Third Place $300 USD (Three Hundred United States dollars).
- Professional Category:
- First Place: $1,500.00 USD (One thousand Five Hundred dollars).
- Second Place: $700.00 USD (Seven Hundred United States dollars).
- Third Place: $300 USD (Three Hundred U.S. dollars).
The iDiaspora Photo Contest looks for a series of 3 photographs per participant portraying some of the following categories:
- Navigating identities: Is there a relationship between Diaspora’s homeland and new land? How do diasporas express their sense of belonging in multiple societies?
- Youth and their roots: What is it like to be born or grow up as a member of the diaspora? How can the youth connect with their homeland?
- Diasporas as influencers: How does the diaspora contribute positively to their societies through the use of technology?
- Diasporas helping their communities: What is it like to assist communities during a crisis?
- The contest is international and is open to both amateur and professional photographers over 18 years of age.
- No person related to the IOM and/or IBER-RUTAS may participate nor their immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sons, daughters) or those who are part of their household.
- Those who participate in this Contest, by submitting their photo, certify that their submission is not illegal and does not violate any law, regulation, treaty, or administrative rule and that the laws of their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry do not prohibit or restrict the possibility of receiving a prize in this Contest.
For more information, visit https://www.idiaspora.org/fr/node/6246