- The overall goal of the Youth Pre-Conference is to provide a collaborative, open and inclusive space for young public health professionals to critically reflect on the current state of public health in Africa; share perspectives on the role of young people in public health; and prospects for enhancing meaningful youth engagement in this area.
- This Youth Pre-Conference will provide a platform for:
- Thorough reflection on the current state of public health in Africa (including the Africa CDC and its NPHO) and the role of young people;
- Interrogate the current state of youth engagement in public health and discussion on prospects and expectations towards meaningful youth engagement, particularly in collaboration with Africa CDC;
- Intergenerational as well as peer-to-peer exchanges to share lessons, reflections and experiences on youth engagement in public health;
- Bridging the gap between youth organisations working on public health in Africa.
- Meaningful Youth Engagement For Advancing Sustainable Health Security In Africa
What is included in the Youth Pre-Conference?
- 2 days pre-conference: 2 days pre-conference in Kigali, Rwanda, prior to the CPHIA 2022 (10-11 December 2022).
- It will offer a platform for networking (with peers and intergenerational experts), sharing perspectives and discussing current issues of public health in Africa.
- The conference language is English and French. Interpretation will be provided for both languages
- Inauguration of a long-term and institutionalised youth engagement framework to advance the full implementation of the NPHO and thereby, drive health security in Africa and globally.
- Mapping of youth engagement in public health and actionable recommendations to enhance their contributions to public health and health security in Africa.
- Enhanced understanding of the current state of public health in Africa by youth-led or youth-focused organisations and networks to identify possible areas of collaboration and partnership with Africa CDC.
- Institutionalisation of the CPHIA Youth Pre-Conference as a platform for intergenerational as well as peer-to-peer dialogue on youth in public health convened by Africa CDC annually.
- Financing: Africa CDC will cover all travel related costs of participants, with support from its partners
- Experience and Leadership
- The conference will target young people with track records of work/experience and education (at least enrolled as undergraduate) in the areas of medical science, public health, health technology, as well as public health advocacy, development cooperation and journalism focused on health etc
- Representatives should be from youth-led and youth-oriented organisations and networks, associations, academia or in an individual capacity.
- Interest in public health and engagement as a youth advocate in the area.
- Youth that have also led or engaged in public health related projects, research and initiatives are invited to apply.
- Youth participants age b/w A18-35 affiliated with a youth-led organisation, network or movement are highly encouraged to apply.
- Youth participants must demonstrate commitment to public health engagement as an advocate or a practitioner in the area.
- Other factors
For more information, visit https://bit.ly/3EyejGI