Applications are now open for the INNO Disruptive Challenge.
A program by the Japanese Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) taking aim at conventional wisdom to inspire and cultivate the seeds of disruptive innovation from all walks of life with support of up to 3,000,000 JPY for up to one year.
In this new-normal era, a significant increase in the need for innovation within the ICT (Information and Communications Technology) field has arisen. In response, they call upon those who boldly take on new challenges without the fear of failure to take part in the Disruptive Challenge.
They aim to support the further development of these technologies by looking for proposals that can boldly take on these challenges and tackle issues with the potential of changing society and global industries without the fear of failure.
The INNO Disruptive Challenge is separated into a 2-step process.
- 0 to 1 Challenge
- The 0 to 1 Challenge is an opportunity to put your ideas to the test and experiment in lighting up the path towards realization (your “Ambitious Technical Goal”), without fear of failure.
- Freely set your own time period and budget (time period up to 4 months; budget up to ¥1,000,000) and set your sights toward the Disruptive Challenge. At any time, through self-assessment and your own judgment, you may submit a request to the executing agency to advance to the Disruptive Challenge. Upon passing this selection, you may advance to the Disruptive Challenge.
- Duration: Up to 4 months
- Disruptive Challenge
- Press forward toward your “Ambitious Technical Goal”. The 0 to 1 Challenge’s time period and support budget are deducted from the overall time and budget limit of one year and ¥3,000,000, respectively. (For example, the earlier the 0 to 1 Challenge is completed, the longer the time period for the Disruptive Challenge becomes).
- Period: Up to maximum of 1 year (including the 0 to 1 challenge)
- Open Worldwide, All Nationalities, All Ages, All Backgrounds.
- Those who can propose a path and a vision towards their goal as well as being unafraid of making mistakes in their attempt.
- All ages, Those on Earth with a contact address (citizenship or residency will not be taken into account).
- In the case of self-application: Individuals or groups.
- In the case of referrals : Individuals or groups in your vicinity.
- In addition, coordinate alongside the executing agency and follow decided activities in the event you are selected, your name (or nickname), residing location, and proposal name will be announced on the official website.
- You must abide by Japanese law.
- Those without Japanese residency or citizenship will not be bound by the Industrial Technology Enhancement Act Article 17 (the Japanese equivalent of the Bayh-Dole Act).
For more information, visit https://www.inno.go.jp/en/hakai/2022/